New roofing technology Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » New roofing technology « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonma (Jonma)
Username: Jonma

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Matt,

I'm not a roofing pro, but your idea sounds pretty neat! Have you actually designed and patented a system like this, or is this just theory stuff for the class?

The simplest kind of system I can imagine that works as you describe would be something that can switch between a black and white roof. Black to absorb heat, white to reflect it.

When the roof is absorbing heat ("black"), is the heat somehow being actively radiated throughout the house? Or is it just heating the roof itself and relying on passive radiance to keep the house warm?

When the roof is deflecting heat ("white"), have you actually calculated that you'll have cooler temps in the living areas of the house? I mean, heat rises, right? Does a hot roof actually radiate enough heat down to the living areas to appreciably increase the temperature?

Also, when reflecting heat, where are you going to reflect it to? The sun moves throughout the day and year, so no matter how you position your reflective material, the reflected light/heat will be reflected off in different directions throughout the day. That might be a problem if the installation is near an airport, or even if the installed roof is anywhere near a taller structure. It wouldn't be much fun to have your neighbors roof turn into a spotlight at 11am every day shining into your windows. :p

I guess you could get beyond that problem by using sun-tracking reflectors, but you'd still need somewhere safe to deflect all that light and thermal energy to. Plus, once you're using a system that complicated, the system probably isn't financially viable.

Actually... what if you simply reflect light year-round, not just in the winter? You'd focus all your light onto a "chimney"-looking structure, which is actually just a steam boiler. The concentrated rays of the sun reflecting onto the boiler would produce tons of heat year-round, and given enough light condensers, you could even use a steam turbine to generate energy.

Then you'd be able to use the resultant electricity to power an AC unit in the house in the summer (while simultaneously reflecting the heat off of the roof), or pipe the heated steam directly through the house to heat it in the winter.

Heck, it might even be more efficient to just use a plain old asphalt roof and install a large exhaust fan in the attic for use during the summer. Are you using any sort of development software or anything like that? It'd be neat to see what the actual annual cost comparisons would look like for different temp-regulation systems.

Hmm... I might have gotten a little carried away here. lol I've just been pretty interested in cheap/efficient energy lately, so your post really caught my attention! Good luck with it!!

-Jon

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People would eat this up right now and contractors could sell it easily if it works.

I would never use it.

Mschuman88 (Mschuman88)
Username: Mschuman88

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted May 07, 2009 11:03 AM
Hi,

My name is Matt and I am currently developing a business plan for my college class. The product is a patented roof panel capable of reducing heating and cooling costs by 10 to 15 percent. The panel actually works by absorbing the suns rays in cool temperatures to warm the roof; and then can switch to reflect the suns rays when the temperature increases. I was wondering if you could give me some feedback to a few of my questions?

1. Would you be willing to use a new roofing technology capable of reducing energy costs?

2. How much more would you be willing to pay for this product compared to current roofing products?

3. What would be your biggest worry with using a new roofing product such as this?

Thanks so much!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration