BRAKE CAPACITY Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » BRAKE CAPACITY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaughlin1 (Plaughlin1)
Intermediate Member
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a tapco pro 19 for the last 4 years as well, while it can bend 20 oz you can tell it is not disigned to. If you just have a few pieces of 20oz why dont you have a local sheetmetal shop brake it for ya?

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies...
I know the brake was designed for 16 oz but I hoped to get away with some 20 oz use...i know that some other brands of brakes "recommend" use with 16 0z and list "maximum" use of 20 on their specs. Im not using the brake in a commercial, day in day out setting so Im glad I can use some of the 20 oz copper that I have on hand.

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pro 19 will bend 20oz copper ,valleys would be okay,the brake has adjustments for metal thickness,get a manual for it so you will know how to adjust it...The Maxum would be better but the Pro 19 will work,I have had one for 4yrs.first job we bent over 1500'of 16oz copper from valleys,detailed fascia,standing seam ect..still use the brake,have not replaced any parts,still works great.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't bend a 20oz sheet effectively at full length. If you are bending a shorter length, you can probably get away with it without harming the equipment. Trying to bend over capacity will spring the brake. They are not that strong in the first place.

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over the winter I was able to pick up a Tapco pro 19 brake and acessories ( for cheap!). The specs list max capacity at 16 oz.copper. I would like to use 20 oz for some short valley runs...based on your own eperiences will this brake be able to handle this or am i stuck using 16 oz.(has anyone tried 20 oz on this particular brake). Thank you for any info.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration