Nailing Slate on a Roof with Strapping Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Nailing Slate on a Roof with Strapping « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is one reason why we always use solid board sheathing rather than nailers whenever possible.

Curlyoaker (Curlyoaker)
Username: Curlyoaker

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not put the nailers up yet. They will be installed on 7.5" centers. The first three from the bottom will be at unique locations since I have to accommodate the starter course of slate.

What I can do though is make the spacing between number 3 and 4 nailer be smaller than 7.5" on center. This will subsequently cause the nailing holes in the slate not to line up with the horizontal center line of the nailer but allow the top of the slate to sit more on the second row up nailer. My question is still how much should the top of the slate sit on a nailer? Is 1/2" okay? Thanks.

Victor

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your spacing is consistent they should be on-center or close to it.

What stage are you at? That really is the best way to determine what variable to change.

Have you already installed the nailers? If so, are they spaced 7.5" o.c.?

Curlyoaker (Curlyoaker)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I already have the slate and the oak nailers. It would be easier to buy new strapping like 1" by 4" than to get new slate. I was thinking though that I could nail the slate a little off center (higher) on the strapping. That would put more of the top of the slate on the piece of strapping located two rows up.

So my question now is: how much of the top of a field slate should sit on strapping? Thanks.

Victor

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have already installed the strapping as you described, than the nail holes should be placed 6.75" from the top in order to hit the nailing surface.

Are you just in design or have you already framed the roof?

Is the slate already quarried?

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe use 1X4 rather than 1X3 nailers.

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, sorry.

Curlyoaker (Curlyoaker)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the answer is that the top of the slate needs to sit on wood strapping, right?

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will have to adjust the position of the nail holes also. If you have not already ordered the slate, hopefully you can get the quarry to punch them to your specifications.

Kwhord (Kwhord)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes the "lath" or strapping should be spaced 7.5" on-center to match the exposure of the slates.

Curlyoaker (Curlyoaker)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I built a timber frame structure and am now trying to hang a slate roof. The slates are 12" wide and 18" high. The nail holes in the slate are 6" down from the top. The exposure is 7 ½". I am using 1" by 3" white oak strapping to hang the slate.

If I nail the slate such that the nail is centered in the strapping, the top of the slate just misses the second row of strapping above. So the top of the slate is unsupported. This does not seem correct. Should I adjust the position of the strapping so that the top of the slates fall on wood instead of air? Thanks.

Victor

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration