Maintaining a new slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Maintaining a new slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jamie callan
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I installed a slate roof on a church steeple in summer 2003. I have just been out to take a look at it and have noticed three slates that have broken. Needless to say, my heart rate increased dramatically. My first guess is that they were cracked sometime during installation,but did not fall, and over the course of a very harsh winter, have worked loose. Are there any other reasons why this might have happened? Is this normal? The only other thought i had was that the local rebelious kids have been throwing stones up there. any thoughts

slateworks
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes-they may have had hairline cracks in them when installed ,the installers may not have seen them,or they could of been slightly overnailed,the freeze and thaw cycle combined with hairline cracks can cause breakage,new slate as well as salvaged has to be checked for hairlines before or during installation,we all miss a few but the more slate you install one developes an eye for picking up flaws in the slate - also during installation and stocking, look at the slate when it is wet(after a rain - or from the morning dew)and look for hairlines-they will show up by holding a little extra moisture as the slate dry.

ken
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

make sure they ring too

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration