Nu-lok installation system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Nu-lok installation system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I incorrectly posted this last night to the 'how much does it cost' thread (sorry!):

Anyone have any experience using this installation system? If so, what are your thoughts? Do you think it would save time and/or money for a new installation? I received some promo materials from greenstone slate.

The website says that "fastening system components are designed for 50-year life in sea-front conditions". Is this another case of 'guaranteed to fail in 50 years'?

Here's a link:
http://www.nu-lokusa.com/

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why use a Fastening system that has a 50 year life with a slate product that last over 100 years that does not make any sense to me. I have spoke to a few people and have not heard anything good on this stuff.

lumbermack
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe cos nobody actually offers a guarantee for this long. There's no reason why the roof wont last longer anyway, but if they're gonna give me 50 years of free maintenance, then good on them!

JonHill
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an owner of nu-lok USA, I am not surprised that the cowardly "anonymous" writer has not heard much of nu-lok. It has only been introduced to the US over the last two years. The reason why the system is only guaranteed for fifty years is quite simple. Vermont slate has been used for over 100 years. Therefore, it has meet the true test of time. The nu-lok system utilizes battens and channels made entirely of galvalume. Since galvalume has only been in existence since 1972, it is difficult to make assumptions on how long it will last. As the metal is proven in real-time testing not simulated test cycles, the warranty will be extended. At this point fifty years is a safe choice for a warranty. The warranty is not pro-rated. Furthermore, nu-lok is not a replacement for traditional slate applications, it is an alternative to synthetic "plastic" slate, cedar, asphalt and fiber-cement shingles. These are products that are quickly absorbed by the roofing community regardless there proven longevity. (Dear anonymous, have you ever read the fine print on a 50 year asphalt or synthetic slate warranty? Do you really think they are going to last that long?)

ken
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is an important question: If nu-lock were to have the misfortune of going out of business, is there some other entity which would honour the "not pro-rated" fifty year warranty offered to its customers? Maybe there is some sort of bond in place to back this warranty. I havent looked into it, and i dont have the time either, but i would probably bet that the cost of backing such a warranty, would put nu-lock past the cost of a traditional slate roof, if the warranty is any good, that is. Please set me straight on this if you can.

John
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or thoughts about the "Slate 2.0" installation system out of Texas. It seems "similar" in function to, but not identical with, the Nu-lok installation system.

Also, what does it really cost?

Could somebody please compare the price of a "re-roof" with an "installation system", versus one without.

If the front of my house is just a big rectangle...one big flat plain...of approximately 35' by 17.5'(Yes, I did the Pythagorean calculations)...what would that roughly cost?

(The roof is 87 years old and the slate is starting to concede to the law of gravity with seemingly ever increasing frequency.)

Thank you for your help.

Robert M Hick
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A important point that Mr Hill failed to mention was that the metal used in the the nu-lok system that is exposed to the elements is E-Coated Galvalume with 316 stainless steel clips.
E-Coating is regarded as a premier anti corrosion coating used in the automotive industry.. It is also worth noting that Ceramic and Porcelain are regarded as extremely long life products and one only has to look at the Ceram Tests on the nu-lok shingle to see its longevity...
Robert M Hick

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Mr. Hill it is NOT an alternative to natural slate it is an alternative to plastic or fiber copied slate. And if I was in the feild for this type of product I would compare apples to apples. Don't try to compare any of these products to natural slate the natural slate will WIN hands down, over all of the "try to be" copy cats. These products "the copy cats" aren't cheap so I believe if you value in all elements involved with a roof system for the $$ natural slate wins. So just go natural BABY... It's already proven that it will last 100's of years so what's the problem. SLATE ON!!!!!!!!

Robert M Hick
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Mr Anonymous wishes to put his money where his mouth is Nu-lok will happily put $50,000 into a solicitor trust account providing he does the same and we can arrange a reputable testing authority to test natural slate
against our porcelain side by side , winner take all loser also pays for testing...Think about it guys porcelain has survived from the days of the Egyptians ,one of few perfectly preserved artifacs recovered from seabed is porcelain.
We are not trying to replace natural slate it is a wonderful ,beautiful product we are trying to
offer a incredible good alternative to the other plastic and composite products on the markets .
Don't fear it give it a fair go ,embrace it as a adjunct to your existing business and watch your bottom line grow.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration