Slate Roof & Daylight Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Roof & Daylight « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmy Tichenor
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a house in New Orleans with a slate roof.

During the daytime you can go in the attic and see small areas (they look no bigger than a dime and some smaller) of daylight in a few places on the roof.

Obviously the roof is not insulated.

As far as I can remember these areas of light have been there since I bought the house 5 years ago. The roof has never leaked, enough to damage the ceiling, in any of these spots.

Is it possible with a slate roof there can be light shining through and not leak?

I assume it would depend on the way the slate is overlapped and the general construction of the roof, but as far as I know it has not leaked.

Living in New Orleans we get plenty of hard driving rain and if was going to leak I would think it would have leaked enough over time to cause ceiling damage.

We are in the process of selling the house and the buyer's inspector has indicated these 'leaks' on his report.

Any insight or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

admin
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is common for light to show through a slate roof in the attic around some flashings (such as chimney flashings and ridge metal). If the light is showing through in the middle of the roof, you probably need to repair the roof.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration