Slate repairs..What were they thinking? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate repairs..What were they thinking? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No I happened to be on the scaffold to look at another aspect of the job. They had a peach bottom roof on there before. One corner of the building was hit by a tree. All they needed was new box gutter pans back to the expansion joints on either side of the damaged area and a few slates repaired on the hip and the eave. Of course the roofers insisted it couldn't be repaired. I was able to salvage the old slate and I'll probably be using it for repairs in this town forever. Its a perfectly weathered match to the other peach bottom roofs around here.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis, Were you called to look at it because of leaks? My competitors seem to do the same work. On many of them, with those 8 and 10 ' gutter lenghts, nailed on the front edge, I also find stress cracks and holes at the midway point, on the back edge. Many are shot and ready for replacement in 6-8 years. What a frigging shame.
Slate Roof Repairs
<A HREF="http://www.albertsroofing.com" TARGET="_blank">Slate Roof Repairs</A>

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis,
Wow - thats some very poor workmanship.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should see the pictures of a new slate roof one of my "competitors" just completed.

They have no shame, really.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kwhord/TheCompetition#

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
If you use Shutterfly or Picasa or Flickr you can upload photos on their sites into albums. They're free sites.
Then you can add a link here so we can all see what you're seeing.
You can also e mail the album , or any sequence you choose to make into an album , to prospective clients to illustrate a certain problem.
I've got most slate roof issues that you might commonly encounter in them for use on message boards or for clients.
I'll include one so you can see - if you don't already utilize them
Walter
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8cbsmrhq2E4&emid=sharshar&linkid= link5&cid=EMsharshar

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We set up on a slate repair today as the snow is all gone and we could get on the roof. I set some scaffold and gained roof access and what I saw made me want to cry. The home owner had hired a company from Lansing, Michigan several years ago on a recomendation from a tile company. The "company" had sent three or four guys down to work on the roof and they charged 2 hours of time each way or 4 hours of travel time EACH per day for these clowns to work on his roof. He didn't tell me exactly he paid them but it was over $10,000.00

They have joint over joint, they have two slates slid into the same hole because they didn't have the correct thickness of slate. They have sections where they have no Headlap. Finally, instead of using slate hooks or a copper bib, they just drilled holes through the top of the slate and pounded a 8 penny nail through to hold everything in place. The nail heads were small and they had rusted, but when we started to look, they were everywhere. They even left a small handfull up on the roof to rust by themselves. What a travesty! I took a bunch of pictures to post, but I have to figure out a way to "shrink" the pics to the right number of digits so that they will go thru. WE have to have the chimney rebuilt so we are going to be working there for a while. I will continue to take pictures and figure out the way to post them soon.

That is why this association was started guys. There is no reason to put up with that crap! Posted by John R. Crookston, but I am still "old
School"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration