Type of Slate? Worth Repairing? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Type of Slate? Worth Repairing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevanos (Kevanos)
Username: Kevanos

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dormers have all been repaired... I'm working on getting new windows for them. I'll post some of those pictures (after I take them!) I have done some painting, and have LOTS more I want to do.

There are some slates that still need replaced. You may notice in the pictures, along the ridge cap, several, if not most, of the "slates" are reddish in color. These are actually asbestos(?) fiber tiles. I'd like to replace all of those.

As a note, the contractors never got up on the roof with ladders, but used a telescoping lift and worked from the platform.

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope they glued down those skinny slates on that rake edge, thats all that will keep them there after a while. They are only an inch or two wide, they shoulda cut some slates a little wider for those spots.. Still, it at least has stabilized this great barn, definitelly worth fixing..

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks better than it did and at least it is still slate. A diamond blade?

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it was wind damage, and the insurance company covered it, (minus the deductible). However, finding someone to do it, with a cost that insurance would agree to pay, was something else. There were two or three companies that advertise slate repairs, but they didn't even call back!

The guys did a decent job, but not like it really should be. They pulled from slate I had here, and some I salvaged off another barn at a friend's house. They weren't "supposed" to use the black, but it was already up before I knew it.

The company "has" experience in repairing slate roofs, but the guys they sent didn't. I talked to them from info on here and in the "Slate Roof Bible", and helped them with that info. They cemented the slates down on the gable end, which isn't so bad since it receives all of the wind... They did use copper nails. They did NOT use a slate cutter, but rather a diamond-tipped concrete saw blade! (I didn't know that until the end of the job).

Definitely could have matched the slate better... at least the side that has the most black is facing away from the house, and there isn't much traffic from that direction.

My neighbor used a shot of the barn on his website and ad... http://gravesshowcattle.com/

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We did a job very similar to this a few years back. Since the slates that were missing fro the gable end were obviously blown off by weather events, we suggested that the owner turn it in to his insurance company. He did - they agreed that it was wind damage and they paid for the repairs - all but the deductible.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 457
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad they're using PA black to repair a VT slate roof.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking good more like it should. Is that PA Black you are repairing with.

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple of updated pictures after some repair work has been completed on the gabled ends of the barn's slate roof.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just love those old buildings. Even delapidated, it's holding up better than many new ones only 10-15 years old.
[url]"http://www.albertsroofing.com]Slate Repairs, Richmond, Va."[/url]

Tim_dittmar (Tim_dittmar)
Advanced Member
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shows how slate roofs, even if totally ignored, can save a building until someone who cares comes along- simply amazing!!

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The color I am leaning towards is Fading Purple? If you cannot find a close match you might want to consider removing the slate from the lower section of roof(same side of roof as bad gable area) looks like there is some sort of change in the roof plane?-you could remove all or part of it and either use other slate or metal roofing to replace the slate you remove--then use the original slates to repair the rest of the roof -- the dormers would be alot of work to restore ,but I like how they look..just my 2 cents.Take care.

Walter_musson (Walter_musson)
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd take the dormers down, sheathe in the opening and slate them in.
The gable end is a lot of work to strip back the slate some more so the overhang can be rebuilt and the roof boards spliced back in. Then you'll have to re lay the slate there too.
If you do it yourself it's a lot of labor but not huge amounts of cash. Hiring a slater and carpenter will add up quite quickly.

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deck seems to be in good shape. Leaks from the Gable end, dormers, some along the ridge where the ridgecap is missing or deteriorated, and then a few leaks where slates are missing or broken.

Prior owners did NO upkeep on any of the out-buildings for several years. High winds have really beat the gable end in the last few years.

Any guesses on the cost? (ranges)

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need a better picture for what slate type, at this point I would say gray or green with black letters. The addition looks to be VT fading and non- fading green. The repair is no problem for the rigth slate roofer. The gable end is the most work, the rest of it is typical. Is all the rest of the decking in good condition?

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Absolutely save it. I can't ID the slate from that photo, but maybe someone with a better eye can. I see some faint striations which could be ribbon slate up close. Maybe chapman or a hard blue/black slate.

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be a lot of work, but is the roof leaking, besides at the outside edge and at the dormer?

Why didn't they do some repairs years ago?

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the South...Barn-South

Kevanos (Kevanos)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Built in 1891, with addition on South in 1911. Ridge Cap is failing, some slate has blown off, especially on the gable end (as you can see).Barn-North

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration