Slate roof protection and problems wi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate roof protection and problems with gypsum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a picture too?

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe if it is crumbling in your hands; then the horse is already gone from the barn and there is not much use in slamming the door. I doubt if it will hurt to spray a sealer over it, but in my opinion it will be good money after bad. Pretty harsh I am sure without even seeing it, but that is what is sounds like to me.

Have you ever talked to to quarry?

Remember, slate is ROCK. Is any of the "algae" you talked about growing on the rocks on the ground all about you? If so, what is happening to them? Water is the culprit, and if the slate is absorbing water, then it is not much good. Just my opinion!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are company out there that spray different solution on, look on the internet.

Russ (Russ)
Username: Russ

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all for trying to help me with my slate roof. I purchased the slate from Big Bed quarry in Penn.I decided on the color bease I wanted a near blue roof. When the slate came to me it look hard and in good condition. I had a professional come and put it on the roof. I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. The black alge seems to travel form roof to roof in our neighborhood and it grows on all my neighbors slate. I am the only one with the de-laminating problem. I seem to be the only one with blue black slate. Some pieces you can press in your hand and they seem to crumble into small particles. Any ideas as to how to perserve the roof. Will the silicon idea help? or some other coating???? How about the liquid copper idea I mentioned, mixing it with the silicon and spraying it on the roof.

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate Central to Russ! come in please!

Slateworks (Slateworks)
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen Penn black start breaking down after 20 yrs..#2 or #3 quality--especially southside of roof-starts to delaminate and turn white around the edges...your climate is not the best choice for Penn slate...have seen it on more than 1 roof and that is in Pennsylvania's climate...They also could of sold you Inferior spainish slate,stating it was pennsylvania slate.

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It ususally takes Penn Black slate much more than 17 years to start de-laminating badly. Do you have pictures? Where are you at in Louisiana? If you're in New Orleans, I can take a look at it for you.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Russ - where are you located?

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is delaminating and there is mold growing on it, then there is moisture getting into it; ie: it is porous. Not good!

Did you buy it directly, or thru a supplier? Did you install it yourself, or have someone do it for you?

WE tore off a slate roof on a church that was hit by a tornado in Kalamazoo in 1980. Most of the deck had to be replaced, but the slate which was 27 years old at the time was mostly rotten, very soft and flakey. That sounds like what you will have in a few years. The slate on the church was just poor slate. The building next door was about 30 years older and we were able to reuse a bunch of that on another building.

Sorry to hear that about your slate. If you don't know slate, you would do well to know your slate supplier!

Russ (Russ)
Username: Russ

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I installed a slate roof on my house about 17 years ago. The slate comes from a quarry in Penn. It is blue-black. It seems about 75% of the slates are de-laminating and there is white Gypsum coatings on the tabs. I feel I was sold an inferior new slate. Is there any possibility for a refund or can the detoriation be stopped? I figured I could coat the roof with Beher Silicone, a liquid which is used for concrete water proofing. On trouble is the Louisiana summer sun is brutal!

Also, I have black alge that forms on the roof and needs to be pressure-washed off every 3 years or so. Can I mix some copper solution (used in gardening) with the silicon to prevent the regrowth of the alge? What are your thoughts? I sure would appreciate a reply.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration