California Gold Slate Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » California Gold Slate Roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Westone. Thank you for your reply. Your English is much better than my Chinese. I visited the far East in 1977 and again in 1979 studying Karate. The style I studied originated in China Centuries ago and I achieved the rank of 6th. Dan. I have a great respect for the Eastern way; the "do"

I don't know how you can convince us to use your product. I am reluctant to use it because I don't know enough about it. I also believe in using product made close to home to mitigate waste and to save energy. Being "green" is truely something we have to be aware of. It would be great if you or one of your associates could be at the seminar in Kentucky to introduce us to your product. Slate and Slating is very "hands on" and I must feel and touch the product before I can make any decisions.

One other question? Why hasn't slate been used for roofing in China? With your centuries of history, I assumed it has been used there for centuies too. Just curious! John R. Crookston, "Old School"

Westone (Westone)
Username: Westone

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John R. Crookston "Old School",
Thanks for your comment.
I am very sorry my English level is very poor, if I use my mother tongue "Chinese", I think I can explain anything very clear, I am sure my lecture level is top grade in people. But unfortunately, I am writing using English, I can't express clear for my idea, so I apologize I can't comply with your squeeze.
Westone deal with slate business since 1980, we have been exporting roofing slate nearly 30 years. China have not tradition for slate roof, so I can't introduce how to instant slate on roof, and provide many pictures of Chinese roof using slate.
I just want to tell you, Westone roofing slate have been selling about 20 years to UK and America, our quarry have near 30 years history, because China don't use slate on roof, we only produce for overseas market.
If you are roof contactor, maybe you even used Chinese slate for your job, but seller didn't told you truth, so please you don't have prejudice to Chinese roofing slate, we are growning.
If you would like use Chinese Language for bicker, I think you have not any opportunity.
I just want to tell you Westone is most esteemed firm in China and UK market, I, Mr Wang Cheng, is influential slater in China and UK slate market.
Have good lucky!
The member of SRCA since 2006

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I haven't read that for a while. Most of the things we are talking about in one of the newer threads has already been discussed three times in this one. I don't know if Westone and Serio know each other, but it looks like they have slate over in China, however thay have not been installing it for years like we have here. They didn't say how old the quarries were or how long they have had roofs on over there.

It looks like they are sending most of their porduction overseas, but I am not sure of that. If I am reading this correctly, this is a "test" roof put on in China by some of the chinese slate workers.

Westone or Senio, if any of this is correct, please let me know. Right now, information is important to us. I get a lot of inquires from China to buy slate, but I will never buy any if I am not confident of the product. Confidence is earned and that has to start with information. Please respond. John R. Crookston "Old School"

Old_school (Old_school)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Westone, Tell me how long has slate been quarried in China? Is it used as a roofing material over there? If it is and has been, then there should be thousands of roofs and hundreds of years worth of experience using it.

Many of the Chinese people I know are extremely hard working and very inteligent! For you to able to write to us in English is very impressive to me. Your English is a lot better than my Chinese. Right now however, we are talking slate.

The question I have is "How good its the product?" How long have you been manufacturing it? What is our recourse if you are wrong and we are stuck with a bad batch?

I don't care how much slate you ship to the West. I dn't care how long you have been a menber of the SRCA. I don't care if other members use the product. I want to know about the slate.

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all of your comments.

This slate is not Chinese multicolor, I know multicolor slate have been exporting to America so great quantities, we also manufacturer and export multicolor slate to your country.

This slate is California Gold, only come from our Shaanxi Quarry, it is different texture and color, hardness with multicolor, which also have been exporting to America low quantities because output.

As you know, China have not tradition for using roofing slate, this roof was put by our local workers, who have not any knowledge, technology, tools and accessories of roofing slate.

I only want to show color by picture, this roof is about 2 years last.

Common dimension as below
500 x Random x 7-10mm
450 x Random x 7-10mm
400 x Random x 7-10mm

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i also agree with you kurtis, this slate is still unproven like the majority of the current temporary roofing market. however, here in south florida anyways, i don't get too many smart customers who choose slate for it's proven track record of success but rather "ballers" who just want bling to impress their neighbors. these imported slates offer a look that can't be matched by domestics. i much preffer domestics myself but as long as it's slate i'm happy to install it. that may sound a bit selfish on my part but most of the contractors here install temporary roofs when they need money. things like asphalt, metal, plastic slate, etc... i don't. not to say that it's bad to do so but i personally can't play both sides of the field. when i'm installing imported slate, i'm aware that it's unproven but at least it's slate. i still install it with integrity and hope for the best.

Old_school (Old_school)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't disaggree with you, but if it is good slate, it is good slate. this will have to be proven over time and it is going to take some time. Every bit of slate that they ship over here that fails will make it take that much longer to be accepted. It is really in their best interests over there to send us their best slate. If it is junk, there will be NO market for it. This is as it should be.

One problem I have with slate from anywhere over seas is that a person would have very little recourse if the product is inferior. Environmentally, it just makes sense to use domestic slate. A lot less transportation costs involved. I still think it is an "interesting" look.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why risk buying slate from China?
There are numerous domestic quarries that have been producing slate for over a century. This domestic slate already has a track record. The stuff from China may be S1 grade, but who knows until you put in on a roof for 120 years. Why gamble with something different when you have a sure bet?

Old_school (Old_school)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I said this the other day, but it didn't show up on the board. I do think that the color is "interesting", but I think it would look better if it was laid in a random pattern and with a staggered bottom. The colors are so varied, I think that the slate clashes with the installation.

I believe that slate ridges would improve the look too. that is my 2 cents worth anyway!

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my answer didn't just have to do with this thread but whatever. i do agree with your point.

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Criticism gives the best growth. I would rather someone criticize me than blow smoke up my #$$, I learn more that way. There is no hate here, but there is vast amounts of information and love for a good 100 yr roof.
This slate here looks terrible, I have seen some nice Chinese slate, but not in this thread. It is best to look at the slate before buying it or at least looking it over before installing and culling out the crap. It is hard to return Slate internationally ($$) and some just accept it instead of trying to send it back. The criticism and harsh truths these guys provide is valuable. No hate here.

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i didn't say all that, i just think most people here are way too quick to dismiss chinese slate. i don't believe the picture was posted to show a perfect installation.

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you think that photo looks good? And you think that is good quality slate installed correctly in the picture at the start of this thread?

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyone here seen the episode of the "chappelle show" called "player haters ball"?

there should be a topic here called "slater haters ball" where up and coming slaters can post pics of their work to be bashed and hated on by the people we're supposed to look up to!

it happens anyway, why not make a place for it so there's room for growth on the rest of the board?

i've installed several roofs with chinese multi-color slate and have not experienced any problems. i check on my projects from time to time and they still look great. i have installed some multi-colored slate from brazil that started to rust instantly but the slate in the pic looks to be far better than some of the slate that is advertised in TR (american slate company)
i've seen good and bad imports just like i've seen good and bad domestics, i think you guys just don't like china, well i don't like new york but i don't hate on new york slate!

some call it bias, some call it pre-conceived notions but either way it prevents growth.

i like old school's attitude and yes that slate comes from the quarry that way. you still have to be very concious of the blend though or the roof will look blochy.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting look. Is that a blend or is that the way the slates come out of the quarry?

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks like it will be rust streaked in a few months. The red oxidation spots and inclusions are pretty extensive. Colors remind me of those Indian floor tiles at the Home Deeeps. When was this installed?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long is that slate roof going to last and what grade is that type of slate.

Westone (Westone)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This slate come from our Shaaxni province, China

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration