Wild Slate Roof Covering 2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Wild Slate Roof Covering 2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks like a lot of fun. Nice looking finished product!

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a good picture with-out all the staging, lets get twisted.

slate chimney

Jeffrey C Stone
Username: Shrllc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful work Liam! I have found that the majority of skills are learned through "hands on". Good Show!

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the snow is here and I have to work in it. Between this and two turret the snow just make it fun. (I had to shovel about 3 feet off of about 180ft of stage in Bradford VT on Monday.)

As far a pattern there real isn't one. By useing so may different pcs of slate you get a very wild look. The basic are out the window, with this one. You still need headlap.

Jeffrey, I for the most part learn what I know from hands on education. I have try to go over-seas, but have not made the time to do so. This slate came from Steve Taran, unfading mottled green and purple (Taran Bros. Slate Co.802-287-9308). Most slate started from random 14" slate. When we did the main house, I bougth slate chips that are not trim and square. This chimney will have a 4 square pallet of slate on it, which you can see it only about 2 square.

Jeffrey C Stone

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What variety of slate are you using?

Jeffrey C Stone

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, beautiful work! I am curious; did you study this technique abroad? If so what school?

Eric Braymer
Advanced Member
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liam, this is crazy. Really amazing work. Are you still doing this after these two snow storms? (You must have 3 feet by now)
Is this based on a traditional German Pattern (with your own surprizes), or is this your own pattern you came up with? I am trying to follow the courses, wow. Are there basic rules that you follow when laying this out? More pictures please!
This is great stuff.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 321
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's part of a home in Vermont, I have been working on. Also a few pictures of making the pcs of slate and size of the slate pcs.

This chimney twisted 90 degress as it past through the upper roof of this cottage.

The twisted chimney comes out of two different roof levels that have a forest green standing roof system.

This is a vent, which will have some more copper flashing to finish it.

This is were I dumped out full pcs of slate out on to the floor them jumped on it to make smaller pcs.

Here I take the pcs of slate and snap then down smaller with a hammer.

Then using the Leyen-cut to trim the pcs up.

Here you can see the size of most the pcs I an installing on the upper half of the chimney.

Yes, these pcs are going on too.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration