Choosing Natural Slate or Ludowici Lu... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Choosing Natural Slate or Ludowici LudoSlate Clay tiles? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Branden Wilson
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marc, those two materials both have proven track records of lasting centuries (if installed properly). i would make the decision based on the look rather than performance, that's my opinion. good luck! be sure to post some pics when it's finished for us all to enjoy.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Strapping or lath is like the decking (1" thick), but there is spaces in between each pcs. Look it up in the slate bible. It your case, because you have plywood you would end up with a vertical pcs on each rafter and then horizonal for installing the slate to.

Marc Tollefson
Username: Marc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Tim and Slate Affair for your imput. When I totally remodeled my building in 1993 I had the roof reinforced to handle the weight of an eventual tile or slate roofing material. That of course would have to be re-evaluated and verified before I would proceed with a new long lasting roof. Would you please tell me what strapping is??? Is it adding additional rafters to the roofing structure or perhaps reinforcing a new roof deck in a particular way???

Tim Dittmar
Intermediate Member
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marc- a huge concern would be whether or not your structure can handle well the increased weight over shakes that slate and tile doubtless have- you should check on estimates of the increase and also consider seeking the advice of knowledgeable persons who can view your particulars- strapping is a very good idea to offset a number of potential problems you may run into...

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well they both look different, so that the biggest choice to make. As far as the roof decking it would be recommened to install strapping under both material to get a longer life out of them and for proper nailing surface.

Marc Tollefson
Username: Marc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of trying to decide to re-roof my worn out cedar shake roof with either natural top grade slate or consider a fired clay roofing tile from the above company. Both are long lasting but I want some other thoughts on which would be the better choice. My present roof has a plywood deck with cedar shakes nailed to it. This is probably why it has only lasted 25 years, since the cedar could not dry out without being installed over open sheathing. I expect both clay tiles or natural slate would require a solid wood deck for durability. I live in the Seattle-Tacoma WA. area so that might be a deciding factor. I'm open to all good suggestions on my upcoming roofing choice.
I'm currently reading the Slate Roof Bible and am quite impressed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration