Painting Valleys, gutters, and ridge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Painting Valleys, gutters, and ridge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's copper.org

Walter Musson

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,
I'll look up the address or Google Copper Dev. Association

Tim Dittmar
Intermediate Member
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everybody! Been away for the holiday- hope y'all enjoyed yours, too! When I said earlier that it looked like decent slatework, what I mainly observed is that the worker evidently can do "surgery" w/o destroying original slates and having to introduce the obvious "scars" of slates that don't match. Translation: his work is probably no worse than what came before him as he basically reassembled well what he disturbed- the dripedge problems, etc. were there before he showed up- he probably even nailed everything back in the original nailholes. Some of my optimism/pessimism is pure conjecture... Walter- thanks for reiterating- just haven't gone to the "site"- perhaps I should when I figure out how...

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not paint the steel to a green or black to match the copper as it turn color. Don't paint the copper.

Eric Braymer
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would keep an eye on the areas in the eaves, in the attic around where the gutters are- especially during early spring thaw. Watch for ice creeping under the first few rows. They may be fine. Your house looks great, especially that view from the street. Is that also slate over that row of 5 windows in the gable over the front porch? I am so glad you are keeping that wonderful roof and maintaining it. Good luck to you and congrats.. Send pictures of that garage when you start it.

Jeffery Brickler
Username: Brickljm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the comments. I agree that some of the starter slates look a little beat up. I'm not sure why he didn't replace them. The job has been completed for over a year now and I constantly keep an eye on things. Is there something I should be looking for? Does this roof look like quality work? I do know that nothing is perfect, but I do want to be a good keeper of my house. Any other information you can provide would be great.

To give you some background information, my wife and I bought this house a year ago and it had looked like the roof had been leaking for nearly 30 years off and on. I love slate roofs and I wanted to keep it. I'm not sure the metal had ever been replaced and it was nearly 150 years old. We have significant water damage on the inside. I had several bids and the costs were all over the place. The roof is large and has quite a bit of box gutter. Nevertheless, I went with a local guy who had many years specializing in slate and copper work. While his work, I know, is not perfect, I am pretty pleased. However, feel free to give me tips, comments, or concerns. I will be maintaining it for a long time.

I only asked about painting because I read it in an article from the traditional roofing magazine. For a 100 year roof, it states that we should use TCSII. However, painted copper could last indefinitely. So, I am just trying to do the best for my roof to maintain its longevity. Many people around me kept saying "tear it off," "put shingles on, it'll be cheaper."

Lastly, I want to say that I have learned a tremendous amount from this website and The Slate Roof Bible. I am hoping to build a garage in the future and I want to slate it myself. Thanks to all of your for helping someone who loves to learn.

Eric Braymer
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That drip edge looks pretty beat up on the left side of the top photo over the gutter. I would have changed those slates also. Looks like the starter is broken/missing in that one spot.

Walter Musson

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,
The effect you refer to is known as "erosion corrosion".
Check the Copper Development site for the particulars

Tim Dittmar
Intermediate Member
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeffrey- Yes, your pictures seem to show some very nice slatework- when one doesn't see obviously poor work, one may tend to think it isn't a "bad" job but maybe even excellent- time will tell... I'd advise a period of watchful attention now and don't feel like you're supposed to _________? The ridgecaps probably don't need to be painted(thank goodness!) and will begin to assume their patina color in 5 years or so(going through a number of intermediate color phases first)- perhaps they should guide you then to decide what else to do- I'm sure you'd want everything to match(appear maybe perfect?). In the meantime, watch for places in the valleys that don't color phase much- a bright, etched chronic drip point on the metal will eventually become a hole(it's a chemical/abrasive "burn" from sulphuric acid rain and particulate air pollution). I personally would want to "electrically" separate the copper from the slate whenever practical- slip some ribbons of tarpaper(30 lb ?) up under the edge of the valley slates- it may stay w/o any assistance- would have been easier while the "surgeon" was in there- some valleys can suffer/thin out badly right at the edge of the slate and that's also more difficult to notice than the "burns"- I suspect there's an electrical(ion exchange) component involved- gonna' quit now... congratulations!

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't paint the new copper. Painting inside the gutters is not a bad idea, as box gutter linings can wear out faster than the other flashings and you can't see the paint anyway. But if the copper is good there, you don't have to paint it now. Eventually, when the new copper starts to wear thin in places, especially the valley copper, and we're talking at least 50 years (assuming it's 20 ounce copper), *then* paint it.

Jeffery Brickler
Username: Brickljm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I have an 1865 home with Peachbottom slates. I had my roof restored last year by a local guy who did an amazing job. He replaced 7 valleys, several box gutters, and quite a bit of ridge. It looks great and I am very happy.

Now, as I have read here and in the slate roof bible, painting the gutter and the valleys will prolong their life. All the work was done in copper, but I'd like to prolong its life as long as possible. I know that the metal will last a very long time without paint, but I paid quite a bit of money for all this work and the longer it lasts the better value I get and my children and perhaps their children get. :-) So, here is my question: Is their any paint that I can use on the valleys and gutters that will mimic the patina of copper. In the gutter, it will not make a difference because the inside of the gutter is not visible. However, the valleys are visible. Does it make sense to paint the valleys? Or, do I have to paint everything including the ridge to make it match? Below are some pictures of the finished roof. Any info would be appreciated!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration