Slaters: post your best inventions, t... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slaters: post your best inventions, tips, and tricks. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shrllc (Shrllc)
Intermediate Member
Username: Shrllc

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't have to do me one better Kurtis, I believe the waffled head of the slate hammer is designed for that use, if you chose to do something else, thatís great, it's all about adaptation and I would never prescribe that my way is best. (Unless you are an apprentice working for SHR-LLC) Been at this for 10 years now and stick with what I have learned works best, is most time efficient and reduces the loss of vintage replacement slate.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One thing that we do on a slate roof is to use wooden pallets on the scaffold. Use slate brackets and 2 x 10's like normal, but take a few pallets and knock off about half of the pallet laths to make it lighter. Lay it on the scaffold plank and on the finished slate to stack your slates on and to spread your weight out. You will never break any slates while standing on them, as it spreads your weight out like a plank on thin ice. It also makes it easier to step from one plank to another, because it acts like a ladder between the scaffold jacks.

You can get the pallets free from most supply houses as they throw them away. On a big roof, we will have 15 or 20 on the roof. It helps me anyway.

Kwhord (Kwhord)
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shrllc; I'll do you one better. I have a cutting surface (like a slate stake) that mounts to the side rail of my roof ladder. If I need to adjust the width of a repair slate I can just shave it with the cutting shank on the slate hammer. The cutting surface is a section of 2x12 that has many holes bored in it to save weight. I clamp it with one speed clamp in the middle and the flange on the bottom of the rail keeps it from spinning. I can hook it to my tool pouch and carry it up and down with ease as I move around the roof.

Shrllc (Shrllc)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also exclusively use wooden slate brackets which are hand made, strapped to the roof with strips of copper.

Shrllc (Shrllc)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate hammers: In slate repair I have found the knurled hammer face works very well to trim down the edge of a shingle which was cut just a little too wide. Tap, tap, tap along the back face and it provides the beveled edge we desire.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm starting this thread to be a repository of knowledge for specific handmade tools, tips, and tricks we have invented or picked up.

We've heard of people making their own chicken ladders and roof brackets... What other tools or aids do you use that are not available in a store?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration