Repair -Nice House Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Repair -Nice House « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Braymer (Braymer)
Username: Braymer

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a photo from 1971 that I found, the house is near Schenectady New York. I am still trying to actually find the house.
The other part (the addition) looks like it was added on later, I think that 2nd row is a result of someone working on that drip edge, it may have extended out a little and was cut back in a repair.. If I find the house and the roof is still intact I will take more photos..

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice looking house! I wonder why they laid them staggered on the front and lined up on the rest of the building? Also, I wonder why the second row of slate on picture #2 is only about half the exposure of the rest of the slates on the roof.

Interesting how we all see different details on diffeent jobs!

Braymer (Braymer)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a nice stone house with random widths.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds interesting, could you post a picture of one? Thanks -e

James Moran
Username: Grnjp92

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm I make my chicken ladders so I dont know what they are selling. My only real limitation is length, I dont like them longer than 16 foot. Have never had issues with breaking slate due to the head.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a regular ridge hook on this ladder . Most chicken ladders I have seen are not very safe, and the hook is too small and sharp for slate roofs. It breaks them and is unstable - that hook between my feet has a nice wide flat surface that sits on other side of the ridge without breaking anything.

James Moran
Username: Grnjp92

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does no one outside the lehigh valley of Pa use chicken ladders?
Congrates on doing a nice job of fixing others F ups.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The date says 1793. The one and the seven still need a few reds replaced (also face nailed and cracked in the middle). That date is when this place was built for Evert van Alen (he became a NY State Assemblyman years later - prettty sure). The original roof was wood shakes, the slate looks like it was installed in the early 1900s - I have'nt found any cut or wrought nails that would suggest earlier, only wire nails, galvanized, and those awful common box nails.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your ladders over the best part, the date, is it 1993,1893or1793 can't tell.

Eric Braymer

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another nice roof with some terrible repairs in the past. The first 3 rows of both sides were taken off and put back on during installation of those built in gutters. Pretty much every slate in the first 3 rows was face nailed with regular box nails about 3 inches long and gobbed with silicone. On the back side of the house the 3rd row was spaced wrong so the headlap on that row is barelly an inch. The client hired me to just fix a few leaks which are done now and I have talked her into replacing at least one square worth of slate this year (appx 300 pcs / 14X9 ). I am just focusing on the worst spots until I reach the agreed amount "not-to-exceed" and hope she will have me do more next year. At least it is a nice house to work on. I recently met the guy who did the bad repairs years ago, he was so happy with himself, I bit my lip trying trying to keep the insults to myself as best I could.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration