Considering replacing slate, need adv... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Considering replacing slate, need advice. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randall Solomon
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a 90 year old house in New Brunswick, NJ, with what appears to be original Pennsylvania Grey Slate that is very brittle and worn. However, the roof doesn't seem to have to many problems. Its been patched in spots with tar, but doesn't sag or leak very badly that I can tell. But it does leak a little and needs repair. But the slate is old and, even to my untrained eyes, is close to being done for.

I'm considering a new roof. I got an estimate for a new petro chem roof from a well regarded roofer for $3300. Includes gutters, down spouts, everything.

How can I quickly and cheaply decide what to do? Can my slate roof be saved for cheap, at least for a while? What would replacing slate with slate cost compared to a regular roof?

I'm interested in slate, and like it for all the reasons you do, but I'm not sure if I can make the finances work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Randall Solomon

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe do one side at a time so budget constraints are more reasonable.

admin
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walters suggestion is a good one for people who want to replace a worn out PA slate roof with new slate, but can't afford to do it all at once. You can even do it one *section* at a time (we have done three sections over several years on one house to spread the cost out - it was an 85 year old lady, too, who owned the house - she just wanted it done right. This was a Tee shaped roof, so there were three separate sections).

Joe Jenkins

Jim K
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randall,

Good suggestions above, but no specifics. Repairs on the "cheap" have varying degrees of "cheapness" and success. I had my tired PA black slate roof put on life support by means of having the most deteriorated slates replaced. That got me another couple of years (at most) and cost less than $1000 for the work to be done by a professional slater. I did not have the time or the tools at the time it needed to be done, having just moved into the house. I could have done it myself for less than $200 if timing had been different. Next year I will be re-roofing the entire house with reclaimed slate myself.

Replacement slate is going to cost you $300-$400 per square delivered to your house for good recycled material. New PA black will cost about the same, but is not worth in IMO. It will cost another $300-$400 per square to have it installed. Get Joe's book, buy some tools, and do it yourself if you cannot afford to have it done, do it in sections as funds permit, as suggested by Walter and Joe.

Keep the slate.

Jim K

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim where did you get your slate from. I am interested in doing some work on my house but would like a recomendations of where to get the slate from. Could you let me know.
thanks

admin
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get new Vermont sea green slate delivered to NJ for $400 or less per square. I am getting new sea green delivered to western PA for about $325/square for a 25 square load.

Joe Jenkins

Jim K
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of slate vendors, but I have only purchased from one so far, and talked extensively with another. Durable Slate in OH is where I got 20 sq. of reclaimed Peach Bottom. They were fine to deal with, but the shipper was another story. DS is no longer using that shipper. I have also corresponded with and spoken to Steve Taran of Taran Slate in VT. Pleasant, helpful and professional. He just did not have what I was looking for recently, but we may yet do business.

Jim K

admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sources of new slate are listed at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/newslate.html

sources of used slate are listed at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/usedslate.htm

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if any one was looking for any slate for there roofs. Live in Poultney, VT. I have all kinds of slate, diffrent colors and ages, so call me with any questions. (802)265-3220 Ask fro Steve Taran

StPP
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working on a church addition, and a new roof (material maybe copper or membrane) will tie into existing slate roofs. Can anyone make recommendations on the best way to do this?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the slates at the interface area, install the copper or membrane, then replace the same slates in the same place with adequate overlap over the copper or membrane.

Joe

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at teh ECOSTAR Product from Carlisle
Nothing but great experience and looks just like slate.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please stop listing fake slate products on this site, there has to be a site for that stuff. We are traditional roof installers and restoration folk. Leave us with the stone age. There are some-things that just cannot be improved or replaced SLATE being one of them and near the top of the list I might add.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration