Can anyone give an endorsement for Ne... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Can anyone give an endorsement for New England Slate Co? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been to the Glendyne quarry in Quebec. Danny Dumont was operating it, producing "North Country black" slate. I have to say it was probably the nicest operation I have seen, impeccable, exceptional quality control, close attention to detail, very nice slate. Contractors always like it because of its uniformity.

Last year I took a close look at some old Quebec slates, over 100 years old, while doing some expert witness work on a slate roof case up there. The slate looks like PA slate from the ground - weathered and sort of flaky, but up close it's hard and solid. Nice stuff.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're using NC Black on a new roofing job in the spring, 20 squares. Thanks for the help folks!

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One reason the slate North Country Black is so much better then other slate, is the way they get the slate from the ground. Rather they drilling some holes and fill they with explosives and blowing the slate apart. At NC Slate they drill two hole one horizontally and one vertically that meet. They a wire saw is looped in the holes. This cuts the slate out of the pit, rather explosion. Cutting the slate out must help to make any slate better.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have also purchased Monson (http://www.wardhamilton.com/portfolio/college_hill_slate_restoration.htm) and NY red (http://www.wardhamilton.com/portfolio/st_johns_episcopal_church_delhi.htm) from Clay for two restoration projects. Took my son for a ride up to VT and we had the pleasure of meeting up with him at the NESC location and then travelled to the recycled slate yard. HUGE selection of HIGH quality materials. He really goes the extra mile to hand pick & pack the slates nicely. Don't know if you're contemplating the North Country Black for a Monson restoration, as many suppliers will steer you toward doing. Check with Clay first--he's got a great supply of Monson.

Jeffrey C Stone
Username: Shrllc

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis, I have purchased several batches of slate from NESC. Some variegated green/purple and some others. The shingles were of high quality and very little damage in shipping. For vintage slate I use Clay Heald. I go through allot of Monson and have had great luck with Clay, quick shipping and very little damage. Kurtis, I have not had the chance to check out their NC Black, however they are a very reputable company from my experience very knowledgeable when it comes to their product. How did it work out for you?

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you got North Country from us, it was most likely some leftovers from a new roof. Unfortunately, we sell lots of different slate, and you might have to jog Tom's memory. You should probably call New England Slate.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis, I use NSCO for slate and are a great company to use. (Clay or Chris is who I talk with the most.) I think there the only one in New England that sells North Country Black, which I also am about to install on the VT Bradford Lib its a great slate.

They are also in a great location for the next SRCA conference, there almost in the middle of the slate valley.

Kurtis Hord

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey I have a few tiles from your yard in Cinci, but I wasn't sure if it was the North Co. Black or the Fading Grey, could you call tom and find out?

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's great slate to work with!!

Kurtis Hord

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking about buying a couple of squares of their North Country Black. Is it really as good as they say? Has anyone worked with this stone?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration