Slate Siding Questions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Siding Questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roland Graham
Username: Rollythegoalie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the "nail update" Slate_man!

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I have done alot of slate siding, with common copper nails and have had no problems. I hope that helps.

Roland Graham

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone care to answer my questions concerning nails and slate siding? I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The area you have circled in red doesn't need anything. It's protected by the overhang and the base flashing on the "roof" above.

Roland Graham

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm planning on installing slate siding on some of the dormers on my Mansard roof (which were previously sided with clapboards). I have some questions about the nails used in slate siding. In most slate roofs, the weight of the slate is supported by the roof deck. But when you install slate on a vertical surface, there is no roof deck to support the weight of the slate. So do you have to use larger nails when installing slate siding so that the nails don't pull out from the weight of the slate? If you do have to use larger nails, what size do you suggest? I would also welcome any suggestions about how to flash the area where the rear of the dormer roof has been installed over the slate (as shown in the red oval in the picture below). Note: There is about a 3/4 inch gap between the rear of the dormer roof and the slate on the Mansard roof which is currently filled with expansion foam. This gap resulted from the fact that the dormer roofs were built off-site and then installed and the measurements were not as accurate as they should have been. Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration