Terra-Cotta Ridge caps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Terra-Cotta Ridge caps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I just did the inspection for the insurance company. I believe Merrick does all their work.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 272
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We look at job at one point that they were going to have us install ss rods in holes in the tile cap, and then wired down to the rigde with copper flashing. So, that made the tile interlocked, flashed and wired down. We also would of had to morter them together.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed there was some work going on at that building. Is your company doing the roof restoration?

Of the total field there were only a few ridge tiles missing, and I feel like they were probably hit by flying debris. There are no nail holes on the sections I inspected. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to reinstall them as they were originally.

John Chan
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kurtis,

I was just in Louisville yesterday looking at the old train depot, and I thought about you. You must be swamped with work right now.

It's quite common for the larger ridge tiles like the 203, 206 or 215's to be held by their own weight. In fact, some of them don't even have nail holes. In very high wind areas, we make our own stainless steel "hurricane clips". You can clip them onto the hidden part of the ridge tile or into grooves and then put some colored mortar on the overlaps. Good luck!!

John

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I'm looking at a 250 square roof on a church that has lost about 300 slates due to wind damage. They also lost some terra-cotta ridge caps. I inspected the ridges and found they are simply held on by their own weight and sealed with a thin mortar joint where each overlaps the other. Is this common? Should I be concerned. I can't run hook ladders off the ridge and I'll have to temporarily remove sections of ridge to make proper repairs. Should I simply place them back when I'm finished or fasten them in some way?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration