I moved a Barn Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » I moved a Barn « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wanted to clarify, I applaud your effort in restoring and reusing the barn, but I think the panels will be the weak link on the roof. It would be a great roof otherwise. Good luck with the project!

Kurtis Hord

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew, I'm not a fan of building materials that are the result of a proprietary manufacturing process. Everyone knows a board is cut from a tree, shaped and nailed or joined into place. This knowledge is part of our living tradition. The properties, strengths, and weaknesses of wood are also well known and have been tested for thousands of years.

Foam and plywood sandwiches, on the other hand, have no track record. In the future, if repairs are needed the structural integrity of the panel must be calculated by an engineer and and proper solution produced in a factory rather than being felled from the earth and worked into a suitable building material by a common tradesperson. These materials do offer great energy efficiency in the short term but in the long term we are painting ourselves into a corner by building "green" structures that are made of unnatural materials that will not be repairable in the future.

If you want a good roof, use solid boards. Insulate on the inside if you must, or build small rooms inside of the barn that can contain heat individually.

Andrew VanSchoick
Username: Blksmith

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted here to get more infomation, good or bad, if you have info about panels that could be helpfull you should share it not "stay out of it". I'd like to hear your thoughts

Andrew

Kurtis Hord

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have nothing good to say about panels so I'm going to stay out of this one, sorry.

Andrew VanSchoick

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kurtis

The barn is going to be my blacksmith shop downstairs and woodshop/art studio/storage upstairs. The panels are for insulation as the space will be heated(radient tube in the slab) and I don't want to hide the hand hewn rafters in the insulation. No current plan for any living space in the barn but you never know...

Andrew

Kurtis Hord

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The panels: are they for insulation? Is this barn going to be converted to living space?

Andrew VanSchoick

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I'm finally reasembling a barn I moved 3 yrs ago and before too long it will be roof time. I salvaged the slate roof (about 85% usable) and would like to put it back on and want to run my plan up the flagpole here and get some comments. It goes like this the roof is about 10 square, the old roof boards are labled and going back on then 30# felt--nailbase 4" panels(osb side up)--2x straping--skip sheath for the 12 x 20 slate--the eves will get snow pans (bronze alum, copper to $$$ for barn/workshop)on both sides(matches the house and removes the need to buy more slate)--
My roofer is good with this plan (he rehabed the slate roof on my house too) and I trust him but its allways eaiser to change the plan then to change the compleated job so I 'd appreaicate any comentarry you might have.

Also I'm considering putting the date on one side and (thanks to pictures in the Slate roof bible) an arm/hammer/anvil design on the other and need input and how to info. My roofer is ok with the date but I haven't talked to him about the artwork yet.

What do you think?

Andrew

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration