Tar and membrane removal! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Tar and membrane removal! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wim b
Username: Belgiumslate

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes it will come of in less of a slate life and thats the broblem
tar contains "Hydrochloric acid" an will slowly affect your zinc or copper gutters
this is a slow proces but it will reduce the gutters life in worst Case to half its life (if the roof is heavly tarred)
half round gutters will be before the end of its life flat gutters hanging as a flag on your roof
i have seen this in the "castel of Grootbijgarden"
the architect explained this to me

yes i have vistited a few times slate quarry in spain
we are good customers at this moment from primera
they send evry year Invitations but we dont have the time to go evry year :(
i hope you Understand my english

Tim Dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Driveway? ever been to a slate quarry? the one in Vt. that comes to mind... it was routine to carry two(2) spare tires in all the quarrylot vehicles- wonder how many of those "flats" were repairable w/ the stringent standards of today's tire industry ...? the slates(after cleaning up some) could be used on a roof where they would not be visible from the ground, reversed/recut to a smaller size(that's a stretch, though, for a number of reasons?) It may be that these slates can't/shouldn't be hurried to where they are going.. the tar will come off in less than a slate-life

Philippa Evans
Username: Pippa_e

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your responses all - I may try a couple in the freezer and see if that does the trick! I have to say, my hands are raw already from scrubbing them in white spirit - only another 1450 to go =]
Pippa

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wim b has the right solution. Heave Ho

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could always scrape the clumps off and use them for starters. Tim is right though, that tar comes off much easier in the cold.

wim b
Username: Belgiumslate

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if i have slates covered with tar i will use them to fill up holes in a dirt road or send them to the dump
but thats only my opinion

Tim Dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phillippa- wait 'til the dead of winter(or put a slate in the freezer) and see if scraping/chipping the "stuff" off will work- it may depending on what the tar is or how old/dried out/etc.. probably will still have some residual clinging to the slate but a few years in the sun(on a roof) will help remove that- don't scrape too aggressively with sharp tools, either

Philippa Evans
Username: Pippa_e

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've just found this site and REALLY hope you might be able to help me! We've just had to have a new slate roof done as our previous roof was leaking, and what we found was that the people that lived here before us had covered the whole roof in tar and membrane; as this was cracking up it was allowing water in which caused us real problems! It's been an expensive process, and we're now looking to sell on the old tiles for reclamation, but need to first strip off the tar and membrane. The only way we've found so far to do it is to soak the slate in white spirit, then apply some vigorous manual labour to scrape off the tar - for 1500 tiles it's a really long process! Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier way to remove the tar and membrane? (I'd be very grateful!!).
Thanks
Pippa

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration