Slate hook question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate hook question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg- that's a building code requirement specifically for slate? Composition/asphalt shingles are just two inches headlap(per manufacturer) all the way down to 4/12? Sounds odd to me but, gee, isn't it nice to actually get "slate recognition" from city hall, if true. North Carolina is kind of a "buzzword" for me over here at 28425 outside Wilmington- look me up in the consultants section and RSVP if you might like someone like me to look over your shoulder once't or twice't...

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg, Looks like your on your way to a really good looking roof, you should post some picture for all to see, progress or finshed pictures.

Greg Readling
Username: Gregreadling

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am planning on using the 2 nail standard method for applying the old slate. I just thought I would need some slate hooks to replace slates that were intentionally left out for roof jacks, etc. I understand the nail and bib technique now--thanks for the link Joe. As for the reason I am using 4" headlap, I am doing a 7 in 12 pitch, fairly flat for a slate roof. Also, there are heavy lap marks on the 80 year old 22" X 14" buckingham slate (which previously used a 3" headlap) that I am trying to conceal. And most importantly, our building code here in North Carolina requires a 4" headlap for anything flatter than 8 in 12 pitch. Is this an odd code requirement?
Thanks for your input,
Greg

william LaTour
Username: Bear_construction

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg I hope we haven't confussed you to much..

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg,
Why are you using a 4" headlap to begin with ??

Tim Dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg- i agree with William, nail your roof as per custom- the European all-hook roofs may be of a different layout to save slate/weight and the hooks therefor are advised. Further for the nail and bib, also called the "baby" or "babie"?- if you're gonna knock a hole in a slate, why do it out in the weather part of the shingle and have to cover it w/ a bib? All that takes longer and costs more than a hook and you ruin that slate w/ the hole or destroy it(maybe) if you punch it "in situ"- punching the top inch of a slate(4" exp.) leaves three(3) inches of weather protection for that hole automatically and I wouldn't call it a "ruined" slate, either- small nailsets and icepicks, etc. are great for easing holes in slates esp. if you support the slate while punching and then put it back into the roof when done- the icepick makes good scratch marks to go by for that process... make your own 4" hooks? The strap and nail method isn't long-cycle technique for slate but it will work- subject to ice damage and rusting, etc.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nail and bib repair: http://www.slateroofcentral.com/repair_slate_roof.html

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Bill, in Europe they install whole roofs with hooks and they look great. Stainless steel hooks are not likely to rust. Maybe they are using slate hooks in the areas where they have omit a slate to install roof brackets...

For an illustration of the nail and bib method check out the info section on this site. There's a guide somewhere.

william LaTour
Username: Bear_construction

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you say you are putting a salvaged slate roof on your new house??? why are you hooking it??? if you are doing a new install with old stuff you should only have to nail it just as you would any new install, hooks will always eventualy rust out and they look like crab on an entire roof. leave the hooks for repairs..

Bill

Greg Readling

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I'm unfamiliar with the nail and bib technique. Is this a bib bent at the bottom to act as a hook to hold the slate? Thanks again,
Greg

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's more than 3" you would have to drill or punch through the slate which is not the best idea. You could always use nail & bib instead.

Greg Readling

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm getting ready to put a salvaged slate roof on my new house. My question is this:
Do the standard slate hooks (like the ones sold here) work if the headlap is 4 inches instead of three? It seems like these are too short to drive into the subroof without hitting the course underneath if the headlap is greater than 3 inches. Any clarification is appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration