Roof restoration project: Monson (ME... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Roof restoration project: Monson (ME) vs. North Country Black « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would look for a source of salvaged Monson if you want a better looking job. Otherwise, cannibalize a section of the roof where it's not so visible, put the North Country on it and use the cannibalized Monson slate for the restoration work.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only reason I would is if you where replaceing all the roof and wanted a slate that will late as long as Monson, so they say. The roof repair would look better with used slate.

Ward Hamilton
Intermediate Member
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have been contracted to replace all of the flashing details on a ca. 1900 structure on College Hill in Providence, RI, this fall. The roof slate is Monson (ME) black and, for the most part, pristine. At some point, I believe fasteners may have failed, because 80-100 slate were refastened with the nail/bib technique. Rather than 'spread' the slate apart to make way for the fastener, the 'roofer' blasted a nail right through, damaging over 120 slate.

As part of the same project, we'll be replacing those slate and undoing some other comical repairs. The customer (who had done some research on his own before we met) was sold on the idea of North Country Black for the needed replacement pieces. I should add that this isn't the first time I heard of this idea -- I had seen it spec'd by an architect on a church roof outside of Boston.

My initial thought (which I spec'd in the proposal) was installation of salvaged Monson slate. Aside from availability, is there any reason why I should be going the other way?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration