Painting of Galvanized metal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Painting of Galvanized metal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darren
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good Day!!

Have a couple leaking valleys that need to have the metal replaced (metal is 50 years old, many holes from heating cable nails, patched with tar over the years by previous owners..etc) Anyways, the existing metal is galvanized and the replacement will be the same. I was wondering how long to wait (if at all) before painting the metal and was wondering what kind of paint is best to use on this metal.

I have heard you should wait about a year before paiting, so that the "oily film" on the metal has worn off and the paint will stick better and thus last longer. I thought galvanized metal just had a coat of zinc on it...not an "oily film".

Any insight on this matter greatly appreciated. I live in Ontario Canada..and we get lots of snow and rain..if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Darren

Walter Musson
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darren,
Yes you should wait one season at least prior to painting.If you paint right after installation it will surely peel.There are some primers which claim to work,but in cold climates thet do not.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A galvanized metal primer will allow you to paint the metal immediately, but you have to find one that will work. The only one I have found that works is a very toxic smelling fluid. We have stopped using galvanized metal ridges and now use only copper. If we do use galvanized on the odd occasion (barn roof, for example) we do not paint it and recommend waiting two years before doing so (although it's much easier to paint it on the ground before installation if you don't mind inhaling toxic fumes).

I would never recommend using galvanized metal in valleys, which is the part of the roof that gets the most wear. Use copper of stainless steel.

Gloria Oxley
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir:
I am from the Caribbean. I am currently building my home and am getting ready to put the roof on. The roof design is parapet. The roofing material will be galvanised, but I plan to use copper in the and gutters. Would the run off from the galvanised affect the copper. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated ... soon!!.

Thanks.

Gloria Oxley
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir:
I am from the Caribbean. I am currently building my home and am getting ready to put the roof on. The roof design is parapet. The roofing material will be galvanised, but I plan to use copper in the gutters. Would the run off from the galvanised affect the copper? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated ... soon!!.

Thanks.

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the run off from the galvanized should not affect the copper. It would be the other way around - the copper run off would adversely affect the galvanized.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sealant required for Caribbean area to seal around rooftop fixtures - i.e. galvanized metal and aluminum flashings; structure is brick,block and mortar

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only caulk I would recommend to use or if it was me that I would use in areas where flashings meet brick or blocks would be NP1 sealant, it's the real deal in caulks. As for areas where it's metal to metal i'd use standard grade trowel roof cement.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration