Solar Refelctance of Slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Solar Refelctance of Slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke Severance
Username: Lucass35

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David I work for Greenstone Slate Company a quarrier/supplier of Vermont slate in Poultney VT, and we have done the testing for the Leed Platinum program. Please contact me 1-800-619-4333 or lucas@greenstoneslate.com, and we can go over our results and options we may have for this project. Thank you

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should contact the Cool Roof Rating Council (www.CoolRoofs.org) ... The CRRC allows ASTM test methods C1549, E1918, and E903 and CRRC Test Method #1 to measure Solar Reflectance and ASTM C1371 to measure Thermal Emittance. To rate a product with the CRRC, these tests must be performed by an Accredited Independent Testing Laboratory (go to http://www.coolroofs.org/productratingprogram_laboratories.html).

Thus far, I see only clay/terra cotta roofing materials that have been tested ... a cursory glance indicates all(?) have an SRI greater than 29. My guess is that slate will pass - as well - with flying colors. Your firm, however, will have to invest in the testing.

Thinking creatively, you may approach a slate supplier and work a deal where his/her product is spec'd IF they obtain an SRI ... Supplier may see this as an investment in future 'green' endeavours by being the only kid on the block with said index rating.

David Goyne
Username: Dgoyne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am an architect doing a project in St. Louis that is attempting to achieve a LEED Platinum certification. The project is in a historic setting and will utilize a slate roof (gray, greengray, bluegray in color). In order to achieve a LEED credit for reducing the heat island effect, the solar reflectance of our steep sloped roof must meet or exceed SRI 29. I have done some searching and have found no information on solar reflectance values for slate. Does anyone know if there is any information available on this topic and where it can be found?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration