Expected Breakage Rate When Punching ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Expected Breakage Rate When Punching Holes? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using a stake is a good idea. I'll remember that next time.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, Did you try a slaters stake at all with that slate? I find that with my stake the brakage is very little even the thicker pcs same with cutting.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Breakage rates depend on the type of slate and the thickness. For example, I have been sent some Brazilian slate samples that were impossible to punch without breaking the slate - standard thickness. They were like trying to punch holes in dinner plates. They shattered like glass. Couldn't cut them with a slate cutter either.

Also, thick slates are not so easy to punch with a hammer. You will ruin a Stortz (for example) slate hammer trying to punch holes in a 3/4" slate. Better to drill them with a 3/16" masonry bit. Thick slates aren't affected by nail heads rubbing on the underside like standard thickness slates are (i.e. 3/16" to 1/4"), so drilling the nail holes in thicker slates is OK.

Also, a pin punch bought at any hardware store comes in handy when you need to punch holes in a thick slate.

timothy hugh dittmar
Username: Tim_dittmar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try punching holes on partial pieces before cutting the slate to final size- a small nailset works really well for punching if you also support the slate on your thigh- bad grain structure in a slate contributes to alot of punching waste

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you punching free hand or with a slaters stake? A stake should help with the support of your slate pcs. The support is just like at the quarry with there old timer punching tools.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on what type of slate you're punching.

Nick
Username: Nyc_nick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I forgot to specify, I'm asking about punching holes with a slate hammer (not the punching post on a cutter (which I don't own.))

Nick
Username: Nyc_nick

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What would you consider an expected or acceptable breakage rate when punching nail holes?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration