Questions on a half round roof What ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Questions on a half round roof What to do « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

shaun mclaughlin
Username: Shaunmcl1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you do the layout like a turret and then stagger each course a little off center to make it look as thou it is random ?

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It will look fine as a random roof, but as you get to the top it will become a little harder to keep it random.

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member
Username: Steve_t

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to get a pic. Liam this is the ME job. It is like a small sitting room made from a mulit sided window with a round roof on it that ends into the main roof well below the ridge line. It would be like a dormer with a half round roof. Wont it look funny all random width slate and doing this in single size. it would be like cutting a turret in half and sticking it on to a roof starting at the eves.????

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a photo?

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,
You'll need narrower and possibly shorter slates as you get nearer to the top of the half turret.
It can be laid like a closed valley where it springs from the main roof , but the top is hard to visualize without some pictures.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happen were this fades into the main roof, is there two valley's or is it curse in to the main roof like a eyebow. Depending on that and what the client want to see.

I would think it should be closed to hide any flashing at the peck.

Steve pictures might be good. Is this in NH or ME?

Kurtis Hord
Advanced Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post the spec?

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member
Username: Steve_t

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The job we are doing now is 18 x random widths. we have two bay windows that are multi panels but the roof above comes out of the main roof as a half of a turret (spelled right?) I have done several turrets. But not a half onein this style.

1.Will I have to use single widths slate.

2. As the round roof comes out of the main roof do I treat it as a closed valley or flash it as an eye brow dormer.

3. Where the peak of the half round fades into the main roof would I treat it the same as the top of a closed valley or have to do a custom flashing to bring it all together and make it water tight

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration