Insured claims wind damage Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Insured claims wind damage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The slate is just about at the end of its life. It's a PA slate - we see a lot of this out here in western PA. It may have been wind damage, or it may have just been falling apart on its own and the wind maybe helped it along a bit. Ironically, the damaged area can be repaired in about an hour by simply replacing the missing slates. It should have been repaired right away to prevent further damage to the structure. Underneath a valley and on a lower roof is a bad place for a hole.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it looks like a Pennsylvania Slate. With the age of the roof and most likly the slate was installed with steel nails. The nails may be failing, rotten, which could be why they say it was wind. Which it could be. The roof is geeting close to needing a real good repair or replacement. You can also see hail damage (All the little holes in the feild slate.)

Kurtis Hord
Intermediate Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a really bad place to have a hole that big. All of the runoff from that valley above can spill right into that area. I hope they have it tarped or dried-in now! Someone on here can probably ID from the photo. I'm bad at identifying slate from a picture.

Brian W Dettmer
Username: Bdettmer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a claims adjuster for an insurance company. This is my first claim on a slate roof. The insured claims the roof was damaged by wind. Max wind speed was 46 mph and max gust was 56 mph during the time period he indicated. The home was built in 1860, and I would bet this the original roof. I attached a photo. I did pick up from previous threads that the slate roof should hold up under these wind speeds seamingly with no problem. I think the roof has just reached it's end of life. Any thoughts on the wind claim? Thanks.Damage closeDamage wide

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration