The law...a question for people who a... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » The law...a question for people who are familiar w/ building forensics « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis... Let them know that you charge $250/hour for consulting, providing deposition statements, and expert witness testimony, in court, plus expenses. Make your retainer fee $2500 so your first several hours are covered.

Just kidding!

But seriously, Confucius say: "Contractor with open mouth have hole to fill with foot."

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis, I wasn't able to find it but, some where on the web, I have come acrossed a company from Virginia that go around using this application as a repair service. Taring whole roofs to fix them, what should have been a small slate repair. Here is a different company that dose this in Florida. http://www.somay.com/roof_coatings/roof_coatings.html

Kurtis Hord
Intermediate Member
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's what I mean...
The slate is peach bottom, and could probably last them another 50 years. It's going to be really hard for me to make any repairs with the slates all glued together like that.

Kurtis Hord
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The reason I ask is, I said sort-of half seriously that it was a "crime" what they did to the roof, and the homeowner started asking about legal action. I had to explain I didn't mean it literally, but they want to pursue legal action. I told them to call their lawyer.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"You can't get blood from a stone."

What are they going to get when they sue him? The Rent-a-Center furniture in his apartment? Let me guess, they didn't get a copy of his insurance certificate, did they? (Yes, I'm being facetious)

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis,
Depending on what agreement the HO had with the contractor and the shape of the roof prior to the tar coating -- perhaps.
You would most likely need an expert witness if they did proceed with litigation.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you many by taring the whole roof. As a repair?

Kurtis Hord
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would a homeowner have any legal ground to stand on if they went after a contractor that destroyed a good slate roof by taring the whole thing?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration