Cant Strip question / Ice dam Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Cant Strip question / Ice dam « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Earl Hocking
Username: Earl_hocking

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About eight inches is as far as I can hold up the bottom course, that is flush with the bottom of a dormer window.

Thanks for all of the input, I really like this site, I didnt know it was here.

Earl

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Earl,
Can you see the lowest shingle course from the ground now?
If not you could raise the starting point for the slates 10" or so and use the same EPDM to bond to the material used as gutter liner and extend it up the roof 24".When you begin slating you would have some distance for the snow to lay without impacting those lowest slates.
If that area of the roof is visible than this proposed solution may not br acceptable.

Earl Hocking

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The entire gutter system is copper, 180 linear feet long with a 14 inch wide copper crown soldered to it. Its beautiful to look at, but was full of holes, cracks, tar, concrete, and tears. They could not afford to repair it. We covered the just the flat with epdm, if your on the roof looking down you see rubber, if your on the ground looking up you see copper. It was an economical fix. Unforunatly new metal wasnt in there budget.

Im not worried about ice dam creating a leak, im worried about it breaking the first few courses of slate. Snow just sits there. This winter it was always there.

Ill see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Earl Hocking

carlos torres
Username: Slatesergen

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ice and walter will work

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of a wire heating the gutter there is some different way of installing heating under the gutter so it isn't exsposed. You can install Dawn Solar. Instead of Dawn Solar makeing heat to perheat your Domestic hot water, you heat the gutter. Its a antifreeze in a pex-tubing system so its no going to ice up. You set it up so that a hot water heater, heats the water and pumps it up to the problem areas.

If you can't do that using extra flashing then you may use typically.

Ice and water that a bad topic on this site.

Can post a picture.

Walter Musson
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What shape is the gutter in?
Does it need new metal?
Your idea has much merit on wrapping the cant strip.
If you want more protection from back up issues -- even though it's not espoused here-- use Grace or other snow guard protection.

Earl Hocking

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This house was built in the 1902, it originally was slate. At some point, in the 1970's, someone decided it should be ashpalt. The house was recently purcheased by a historical foundation, and they want slate back. The 16/12 roof lands on a 36inch flat with a built in gutter system. The water trough is at the gutter edge farthest from the roof. My concern is ice dam. The board i have to deal with does not want a heated gutter. They dont want to see any wire.

Based on the visible water damage, I suspect Ice and snow build up on the flat, damaged the bottom few courses. Rather than repair the slate they chose to just remove and replace the entire roof with poorly installed asphalt, lots of tar, mixed metals, all kinds of sins.

Does anybody have any install advice to prevent this. I was thinking of installing the cant strip flush with bottom of the starter course. wraping it in copper and sealing the seam. maybe any ice and snow build up would go over the top of the slate and not get under it.

Thanks
Earl Hocking
815 343 3509

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration