Recycled Slate--TruSlate--No Slate? [... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Recycled Slate--TruSlate--No Slate? [long] « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Joseph Bazikos
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Gatof, Many years ago the Old House Journal magazine published the story of a family that restored an Arts and Crafts (Stickley designed) home that was in North Jersey. The origional plan called for brick veneer exterior walls and a slate roof. Slate roofs were definitely used on those homes and are an 'honest and natural' material that fits into a Craftsman aesthetic. Mike B.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark

We are not far from you, up in the Capital Region. I would like to meet with you and discuss the project. We install new Vermont slate roofs (from Hilltop Slate http://www.hilltopslate.com/hilltop_home/), ANY color (but red) for the same price or less than the artificial garbage (new construction price is 'ballpark' $800/square.) Please call me at cel # 781.686.6999 or email Ward@WardHamilton.com when you have a moment. We are also masons capable of giving you beautiful, new stone or brick chimneys, steps, and landscaping features.

Please check us out and see examples of our work at http://www.OldeMohawk.com/ There you'll find a slate roofing cost calculator, as well.

Ward

M. Gatof
Username: Mark_g

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're building in lower Sullivan County NY -- now in the process of designing a home. The land is heavily wooded (moss prevails on many older roofs), 1000 ft elevation with known ice and wild winter temp swings. On the plus side, the house will face predomiantly south and east.

We're modifying a 1907 Stickley Craftsman hip-roofed w/shed dormers bungalow plan. Intent is to respect the Craftsman character, but not be a slave to reproduce the exact house, which will be approx 2000 sf, 1½ storey, with separate outbuilding/garage.

I need no prompting to admire a beautiful slate roof (our Vermont Green slate roof on our present home is alive and well after 50+ years). I'm not 100% positive if slate is historically accurate on a hip-roofed Craftsman style home, but more to the point, I know I can't afford to build traditional slate roof. However, this is slate country, and our property has its share of beautiful bluestone outcroppings.

I came upon Tru-Slate as an alternative. It's still much more expensive than conventional products (and prob out of our price range). It might be a contender, or are there other products? Appreciate feedback on this product, esp from those who have been using it a while.

Also looking for alternate products that wd fit the style and location of this home: excellent quality, "sensible" cost, reasonably proven, installable (and maintainable) by tradesmen who are somewhat local, long life, and certainly architecturally responsible.

Color will be black, grey, grey/black, or green; def no reds, purples, mixes. (Recycled slate in these colors is beautiful too, but does price go up?)

Thank you for your feedback and input.
--Mark

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration