? about PA slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » ? about PA slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

gmattox
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking at buying a rowhouse in Nazareth PA. The house has a grey slate roof. I went into the attic, and in the front there appears to be a 1/4" gap between two of the slates, where I can plainly see daylight. Also when I touch the slates, a black powder falls. My question is, what is the life expectancy of this type of roof, and how would I go about repairing the gap? The realtor stuck her foot in her mouth when I mentioned the roof by saying "slate roofs are good for 100 years." Unfortunately, this roof is already 103 years old. The realtor also stated that the owner is prepared to get a roofer out to "certify" the roof. What do you guys thing?

admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a roofer to certify it before you put your money down. Make sure it's someone who specializes in slate roofs. If you need a new roof, you need to know it before signing any papers. The daylight is probably either a slate sliding out or one that's missing altogether.

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Typically you would make an offer to purchase with the option to do a complete home inspection,to be paid for by the buyer.The roof sounds as if it might need replacement,and there might be other issues with this property as well.If the inspection is not to your satisfaction you can negate the purchase and sale agreement,or re negotiate the price based upon the info garnered from the inspection.Being a competent slater I am asked frequently to do inspections when a home is about to change hands.A lot of work that has been deferred by the present owners is one of the first items to address by the new ones,just as in your case.

gmattox
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information guys. I managed to get a copy of a home inspection that was done by someone who put an offer on the house only to have their mortgage fall through. According to his assessment, he said the roof looked deteriorated and when touched from the inside was crumbling. He also noticed high moisture in the attic and evidence of past leakage. It was his recommendation that the roof be replaced. I dont know what his experience with slate roofs is, but either way his assessment didnt sound promising. But the home inspection showed me many other problems with the property, so I dont think I will be making an offer anyway. Thanks for the info guys. This site is a great help to someone like me who is looking to move to the Slate valley area of PA.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration