Step Flashing - Again Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Step Flashing - Again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Svendson
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 12x16 slate and 8x10 step flashing (4x4x10).

Just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, it appears as though if I am to fasten the flashing to the roof deck (which I am told is the way to go), I will be nailing the flashing though the slate.

Am I correct?

admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No. You should not be nailing the step flashing through the slate. Either make the step flashing a little longer so you can nail it to the roof deck, or nail it to the side wall.

Joe Jenkins

Eric Svendson
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Much Thanks Joe. I made a side elevation drawing of the slate and the step flashing just now and it now makes perfect sense. I knew all along that I was supposed to weave the flashing between the courses of slate but I had my mind focused on maintaining a specific vertical overlap of the flashing.

I see now that I can just install the step flashing such that it ends up centered on the slate above it. That gives me a 3-1/2" vertical flashing overlap.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration