Expansion Joint in Built in gutter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Expansion Joint in Built in gutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtis has the right idea. 188 feet with 4 downspouts would create four 47' sections. You would need at least 4 expansion joints. You might check the SMACNA guidelines for expansion joints, which vary according to gauge of copper, bottom measurement of gutter, etc.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that is huge. I assumed it was 30 linear feet.
Your downspouts are going to dictate how many expansion joints you have. You could put one at each downspout like this:

Peter
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mesurement areand the rotunda fascia is 188' - there will be 4 downspouts spaced equally areound the structure.
The radius is 30' - i think i can get away with 3-4' sections.
I dont think 1 expansion joint is sufficent.

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there one downspout, or one on each side of the rotunda? If there are two downspouts, be on the safe side and put an expansion joint in the middle. You're going to have to rivet, or single lock each seam you do anyway. I'm guessing you didn't mean the radius of the arch was 30', that would be a very gradual curve. Make the segments as big as you can to get through the curve. If you have a shrinker/stretcher, use that on the drip edge to get a uniform curve all the way around.

Peter
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am bidding a project that has a copper built in Radiused gutter.
The gutter goes around a rounda - it is approx a 30' radius.
Would expansion joint spacing be impacted by the gutter being in a radius form instead of a straight run?
Back of gutter goes up fascia 8" bottom is 4" front is 6".
Would you try to rivet and solder togather 10' long sections or just do 3' sections all the way around the circle?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration