What to do about non paying contractors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What to do about non paying contractors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

carlos torres
Username: Slatesergen

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you ever get paid
for a small % i will get your money for you
i can not spell that good but i aways get paid

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member
Username: Steve_t

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason
I know how much copper there is I have done a ton of blue prints and i am always right on the money with my figures. I was asking for some one to do they same to prove to this GC that stuff is right and the figures are on.

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jason,
First of all I have been in business for almost ten years, of course there was a contract and I know hom much copper was needed on the job I am not in question of that .the GC is. Next when you are doing new construction that is added on to an older building there are going to be extras. Diffently since the copper work on the old part of the house was not going to be touched.I have signed papers i have reciptes on what was bought and detailed lists on what was installed. and what is a layer i do not get that whole section on a letter and hah hah

jason bourne
Username: Slate_sergen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stephen, how blind can you be and not know how much copper is on a job that you bid on and then do extras on a t&m basses with out having a t&m contract sign and dated with a noterary public stamp on it, those are the basic rules of bussness, a true slater/ bussness owner who wants to be sucsessfull or is knows how much copper he needs for a job or at least close, and has a preprinted t&m contract
your working in longisland hhah home of the tuffguy contracters now they have an out of town contracter who they owe money
leglly it will cost at least half for a layer to take the case if they will on an agreement letter
and there biggest complaint
tell him to stick it in his ass as long as you have a legel agreement hah hah
giving contracters breaks is rediculess because no matter what you charge thay put some thing on top, just because they up on there bid they want to drain the subs drain the subs
last thing
unless you are delivering all the materals at once and making something for your time why would you help the gc for freeeeeeeeeee and you get the headac and lose time and money to help out the same guy that is making 20% of what you do for his ass

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magistrate- a civil officer charged with the administration of the law.

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks ward you hit the nail on the head. I will be in touch with you very soon.

Stephen J Taran
Advanced Member

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we had a contrat i use our SRCA one and change it to fit each job. I detail everything that my price covers. We wrote up the extras and agreed on it. All that was T & M was the extra work, but his biggest complaint is that there is no way we used almost 40 square of copper on a 100 square slate job.

What is a magistrate

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No contract will make an honest man out of a thief. I'm always sorry to hear a story like this. Good luck.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, If you had solid contract documents and change orders in writing, why can't you file a complaint with a magistrate?

I have never worked time and material on a job, but always estimate the entire job and then don't change any specs without a written agreement which clearly states the extra work and the extra costs. I never proceed without a signed agreement that states exactly what work is to be done, how much I will be paid and when the payment(s) are to be made.

Under these circumstances, it's hard for a client to reneg on a payment without being dragged in front of a judge. Of course, they can argue that the work is sub-standard and therefore begin a long, protracted legal battle, but, other than negotiating out of court, there are few options.

I should add that I won't take any job that comes along either. Plus I get 50% up front and the balance according to a pay schedule if the job is big bucks.

There are dishonest people out there who will just try to screw you. Clear, concise and thorough contract documents will help a lot.

Ward Hamilton
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve

Read your message, here, and elsewhere that you are looking for help in NH and Maine. Seems like you have alot of work--and are busy trying to get it done--but the business side of things is slipping. $9k? Ouch. Hey, we all love to do nice work, but at this rate, you won't be able to afford to.

I have been fortunate in that I have been able to build a solid business plan and operate successfully without getting hurt by a GC. Anyone (generally) can handle the avg. homeowner... But GC's are a tricky animal. I'm sure you had to sign a contract to work for them. Did you have them sign an agreement of your own? Change orders and extra's alone must be killing your profit margin. But then to lose track of something like copper?

I would be very happy to share information with you, by phone/email/or in person over a beer or two. We are based in Schenectady and up in Granville all the time (not far from you.) Let me know when you're going to be back in town.

Ward@WardHamilton.com 781.686.6999 or 518.577.7795

Peter
Username: Plaughlin1

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Negotiation is always the best bet, however if this doesnt work one effective way to get what is coming to you is to have a Construction lien attached to the job.
The owner/General contractor will not be able to close out the project until your lien is satisfied.
Make sure you have all your documentation in line before you file a lien.
You will be burning a bridge so make sure it is worth it before you proceed.

Stephen J Taran
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once again we have been taken for some money. We did a job in Long Island and did a bid just for slate labor and installing the flashings that go with the slate roof nothing more.
the GC bought all the copper threw us he gave me a check i had it shipped to my shop and we bent it up and installed it.now I ordered 3 rolls of 16 ounce copper or 30 square and we are over 3/4 of the way through or 4th roll of my shop stock roll. Now there was quite a bit of extras that was not in my contract that we agreed to do.
The job was 100 square of 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch thick 3 colored blend with all closed valleys,saddle caps all step flashed with copper,100 feet of yankee gutter that took 4 foot wide stock, we put drip edge on the whole place, it had 12 dormers lots of step flashing. an eyebrow dormer,and lots of counter flashings. 3 chimneys.we used over 37 square of copper with waste from cutting loss and now the GC is trying to pull that ther is no way there is that much copper on this job.And is trying to screw us for over 9 grand.The worst part about this is I gave him price breaks and alot of things to try to keep him happy do to the fact he does 3 or 4 homes a year.I have provided him with recipts of materials detailed metal list I have proved every which way I can and still no luck. WHAT DO I DO NOW I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US IT HAPPENS ALOT MORE THAN IT SHOULD. Would any one take the prints I have and see what they come up with for copper amounts based on the size flashings we made. I will be glad to pay for your time. Idid not even charge him to fabercate the copper I did it as part of the job price.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration