Slate Sealer ??? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Sealer ??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My slate roof is 80+ years old. Some tiles are falling off due to nail rotting. Some of the slate is flaking apart also. Is there a sealer that I can spray on the roof to make it water proof and possibly bond all the slate together???

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2001 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slates that need glued to the roof by a sealer are slates that need replaced. The problem with coating slate roofs is that they become very difficult to repair, almost impossible to find leaks, and the coating only provides a short-lived solution. If the roof leaks or slates are falling out, replace the slates or the flashing as you need to. Forget the sealers and coatings. Unless you want to throw your money away.

Bob Baney
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2002 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been repairing slate roof's for 30 some years , the slate that has been coated with a sealer [ regardless of the kind of sealer ] have began to deteriorate as the moisture is trapped inside, I found this problem on all different colors. replace and repair don't coat.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Pennsylvania roofer from your directory has given us an estimate of (from high to low priority): replacing 30 slates missing or damaged; installing snow guards for 1K; siliconing the roof for $300.

I don't think we need the snow guards do we as we live in the DC area and I have never heard of the siliconing process. Can anyone enlighten me on this and if it is unecessary or counterproductive should we be wary of someone suggesting it? Thanks a lot

admin
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't install snow guards unless you need them for safety purposes.

I have no idea what "siliconing the roof" means, but it does not sound good.

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks

GarrettLaws
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a company selling machinery that amounts to being a pipe of sealant. Their idea is to seal all the seams between the slates for less than replacing the roof. I questioned the rep gently at first about creating huge problems by sealing the horizontal seams. I then got nervous when he talked about what sounded like the potential for sealing the face of the stone. I started visualizing old rusting nails letting an avalanch of slate coming off the roof.

The response I got was that there are some of us purists and there are other people out there who need cheap repairs to their slate roofs. YIKES!
Garrett, The Copper & Slate Company.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YIKES is right and I doubt that their sealant constitutes a "cheap" repair anyway.

Gil York
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am restoring an old 1920's school house with a leaking and generally poor condition slate roof.
Does anyone know a slater who can repair or replace the roof in the Del, Md, VA, Pa, area. The school house is on the delmarva pennisula southe of Dover, DE.

thanks,
Gil York

admin
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to http://www.jenkinsslate.com/directory.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration