Plywood Roof Deck Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Plywood Roof Deck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim Voss
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that the recommended roof deck is rough sawn 1" boards, and I have found a local supply. The problem is the building department, a hurricane prone part of Florida. They insist that plywood is necessary to provide lateral bracing and a diaphram to transfer wind loads from the gable to the walls.

My question is this, would 3/4" BC Exterior Rated plywood be Ok under slate, or should I try and fight the inspectors for approval? It seems to me that most plywood used on roofs is CDX, which is only rated exposure 1 (not for permanent exposure to the elements). Could I prevent future delaminating by using a thicker, true Exterior rated plywood?

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you can slate over the plywood and it may last quite a long time if the plywood is a true exterior rated material. However, it will probably not out last a natural board and it will probably be a lot more expensive, which is why I recommend board decking (and for other reasons as well). However, it would be better to install a slate roof on an exterior 3/4" plywood deck than to not install slate at all.

Kieran Higgins
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I am in to deep. I am building a new house in New York City and I have already installed 5/8 CDX plywood as per my engineer. I want to install 12 long ¼ thick random width Vermont slate. The engineer told me that the weight will not be a problem. But after reading this massage board I now realize that I have a problem. I hear that it is impossible to nail the slate proplery into the 5/8 CDX, can I screw it in? Is there any way around this. Can I nail lath board on top of the plywood if so what size board? Help!!!

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would nail 1"x4" lath board on top of the felted plywood. If you are actually installing 12" long slate (which is *extremely* short), with a 3" headlap, then you would have to install the lath boards every 4.5" on center. Double the lath at the bottom of the roof and at the top (or install a wider board at the bottom and the top).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration