Changing Headlap Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Changing Headlap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Svendson
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Garage and house are early 40's construction. Garage roof pitch is 12:12 using 12 x 16 slate. I successfully removed 2 slates x 24 rows where the garage butted the house. Reason for doing so was to replace the very tired clapboard on the gable end of the house which ran through the garage. It "ran through" the garage because the garage was constructed after the house was completed. New fiber cement siding will now meet the garage roof less about 1" clearance for the siding.

In doing all this, I discovered that the old head lap is about 1-1/2" at best. Also, instead of needing 12x16 slate to replace some ancient broken pieces, I now need to slightly trim some 14x16 pieces.

Questions are: Will I run into trouble changing (increasing) the headlap on the slate I replace by using 14x18 pieces and what clearance should I leave between the end slate and the house sheathing? I will be using 8x10 step flashing (4x4x10).

Thanks in advance,

Eric Svendson

admin
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The trouble with increasing the headlap, or, in other words, using a longer slate, is that the top of the slate may hit the nails on the slates above it when you're trying to shove it into place. If that's not a problem, then you can use the longer slates - the headlap difference is not otherwise an issue.

Clearance between the end slate and house can be negligible. I try to not let the step flashing show any more than is needed.

Eric Svendson
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just makes it - i.e. the longer slate kisses the nails on the slate above it.

ES

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration