Expansion joint in gabled slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Expansion joint in gabled slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kurtis Hord
Username: Kwhord

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Function > Form

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand the detail. A crimped flashing is likely to split over time due to back and forth movement. Expansion joints should probably slide over each other rather than be connected by a crimped metal joint. Back to my original question: why is the slate roof and structure below it being isolated from the rest of the building?

Chuck Volans
Username: Cvol

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Joe, our structural engineer is isolating the slate roof and structure below from it's connection to the adjacent buildings. The expansion joint is 1". The anticipated movement (if any) is 1/2". See the attached detail, this is what is being proposed for the joint at the slate roof. Please let me know if this detail is feasible.
Thanks,
Chuck
application/pdfExpansion Joint at slate roof
UMC-slate_DETAILS.pdf (39.4 k)

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chuck - I don't see what purpose expansion joints would serve in the pdf drawing you submitted. What would be expanding and contracting? The building? Is this a steel building? The slate roof is not going to expand and contract.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think that it would more or less would be some kind of copper cap, that stands clear of the slate, like you had talked about.

This is more for the building then for the slate!
In the SMACNA handbook chapter 5 is all expansion joint, that can be modifyed for your application.

Chuck Volans

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. The structural engineer is requiring an expansion joint to isolate the gabled roof structure and structure below from the adjacent building structures. See the attached PDF drawing file. I've indicated where the expansion joints need to occur.
application/pdfPartial roof plan
UMQ-ROOFPLAN_partial.pdf (80.7 k)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would a slate roof need a expansion joint?

Chuck Volans

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a question. Can anyone provide me a link to where I might find a detail for a roof expansion joint in a gabled slate roof. This is a commercial application, not a residential home. The joint occurs where a slate gable roof (slope 5.5/12) abutts another single slope shed type roof (slope 4/12). The expansion joint is required to be 1" clear for movement. I haven't had much luck yet but I'm looking at modifying a NCRA roof expansion joint with a simple metal cap. Unfortunatly, this joint will be seen as it will project above the roof line 8-10".
I'll follow up with a PDF drawing attachment shortly to help with the assessment of my situation.
I appreciate any assistance.
Thank You

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration