Slating a curved random roof in cornw... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slating a curved random roof in cornwall england « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miller (Miller)
Username: Miller

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

slate man thanks for your answer

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 576
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you looked at the articale Joe suggested

http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR6_century_roof.html.

As far as how to started, its no different then a eyebow with one size slate. Just work the course in as you would do with a regaular slate roof. Most eyebrows I have done the first three to four couse end up dieing of to nothing and don't connect with the other side. You will need to cut the slate on two or three sides to get correct shapes, in the curved areas, I drawn course line free hand to make the lines flow. Also clipping or dog earing the upper cornners will be need here and there to get the slate to lay down more. You most likely will need to add some lead or copper flashing hidden under the slate with most eyebrow. Hope that helps.

Miller (Miller)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

old school. in answer to your question yes i do thanks for your reply.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 523
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you seen this Traditional Roofing article - it includes an eyebrow dormer with random slating: http://www.traditionalroofing.com/TR6_century_roof.html. You can download the article as a PDF.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miller, do you mean that the roofs curves as it goes up, and you need to know how to make the slates follow the curve?

Miller (Miller)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a random slating job to do with a eye brow would like help whow to set it out

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well useing the plywood instead of board seams wrong. Why change know. With my suggection the roof would still breath. There can be spaces in between the battens. The picture on pg 278 can be use with a little modification.

michael wheeler
Username: Wobblywheels

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have tried to notch out and bend the battens around but the angle is to steep especialy on the convex side. carpenter wants me to cuta 1 batten for each rafter as they want bend round and from the curve this way. This will be time consuming. I really do think we will have to line this area of roof out with 2 layers of ply because of the angle it is not a slight curve. But any more help will be apreciated.

Moderator this is not a valley but a curved roof have looked at your picture on page 278 but that is for a swept valley this iS different from that. The roof construction is breather membrane on roof rafters 50mm x 50mm counter battens and then 50mm x 25mm battens to take the random diminishing course roof area. The technical represntitive from riverstone slate has recomended the use of 2 layers of ply as the angle is so steep.

Henry Channon
Username: Moonraker

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We did a Georgian House in a Cresecent in London about 5 years ago ,which and a convex slope on the rear and a concave one on the front.
We were able to batten in 2 x 1 batten ,using a gauging rod from the eaves ,and it had sufficient natural flex.You may have to notch the battens slightly with a saw.
When we slated, using 20x 10 slates, we lined out the battens and had to open out the gap between the slates on the lower courses to about
1/4 inch, and trim the sides on the upper courses of slates to a wedge shape.

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fine wood working and other trades they steam wood with heat, then bending it in a jig to the what ever they are making. La-cross stick are done this way, they are made from hickory mostly. I am working on a job that is doing it to curve walnut hard wood for a stair way.

I would suggest running the batten up the valley adding other frame between the rafters. This will look alot like the picture in the Slate Bible, on how to frame round valley's. Go to Slate Bible 2nd Edition pg 278 bottom left corner.

michael wheeler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well just spoke to the carpenter and he is not happy with plying the whole area of the curved rof inside and out. But i think this will be the best soloution 2 layers of 12.5 plywood will give us the 25mm we need at this point. Only problem with useing small bits of battens is keeping the curve as we will have staright lines for each peace. we do have 40mm in which to play with,on the head of the slate. Steaming whatis this and how does it work, never heard of this.

Thankyou for your replys much apreciated.

I needs as much help as i can get on this One

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can add frameing (in between the rafters) in the valley so that you can run full battens going up the valley. A few will end up being taperd, because the valley is bigger at the top. I would fill the valley in with wood about 18 inchs on both sides of the center point. You could also use small pcs, you could steam and bend the pcs, or the plywood. I would go with the batten not the plywood.

michael wheeler

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hear are some pictures of the roof construction timber work ready for slatingcurved roof cornwallcurved roof cornwall

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you could post a picture of this area, it would help to give you a good suggestion.

michael wheeler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hy i am in the proces of having a new buiding built on the coast of cornwall in england. The slate are argentinan riverstone randoms starting at 18" and finishing on 12" in equal courses. There is a curved area to this roof so One side curves in and the other side curves out, its slight but its there for the look and to change direction of the building. Construction from the architects is breather membrane on rafters followed by 50mm x 25mm tanalised battens slates fixed to the battens with copper nails. The problem i have is to batten around the curve as a batten want bend around this area as the curve is to much. Would it be best to buy some 12.5mm x 50 battens and double up on this area. Someone as sugested to lay 2 layers of 12.5mm plywood completely over this area. Have you got any suggestions, by the way i have just purchased slate roof bible secound edition and it doesnt actually show a method for dealing with this, can some one help, thankyou.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration