160 yr old home- Slate roof repair qu... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » 160 yr old home- Slate roof repair question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Taylor
Username: Jamesmtayl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Ron. As near as the home inspector and I can tell it is slate right over cedar. There are moisture stains where either it leaked at one point or perhaps when the cedar was the original roof. However, the home inspector and all three roofers said that the cedar they saw seemed fine. Unfortunately the attic is finished so you can only see the cedar under the section where the inspector said the roof was fine. Where the slate is in need of repair we are assuming the cedar is absorbing the water from rain and snow.

ron kugel
Advanced Member
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you can do it in stages..best to try and find salvaged slate that would match your slate as close as possible(thru companies on this site) unless you want new slate..and you can replace a diverter with a new one..Is there cedar shakes under the whole roof or are they just at the very first row,,sometimes used as a starter course, but since your house is that old they may of installed slate over the shakes..

James Taylor
Username: Jamesmtayl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a house in NJ that was built in 1843. The orginal house was 750 sq feet (25 x 30) with a plain gabled slate roof with normal pitch.

The home inspector found a section of roof on the south side was in poor condition and some other slates needed repair in another area. He also found that the rain diverter on the north side needed replacing, but the slate was still solid. We contacted three roofers for repair estimates.

One roofer said they could replace a section of the roof with a new underlayment over the rafters, one other said it had to be the whole side and the third said it had to be the whole roof since it was a front gabled roof and the two sides could not be married together with old and new slate and that a new diverter could not be added to an old slate roof.

3 people 3 and three wide ranging opinions. The home inspector said the whole replacement did not sound correct, but did say the underlayer was cedar shake and would need to be replaced prior to the slate being replaced.

I was wondering what the professional opinion is? Can only a section of a front gable roof be replaced on one side? There are no dormers it is a plain straight front gable roof only thing that may be difficult is two chimneys one front and one back. The home inspector thought that since this is a small job compared to the others in the area some roofers may not have an interest and thus the wide range of opinions. However, he admitted he was not a slater.

After buying the home money is very tight, so if I can do a replacement in stages then I'd be very happy. I will post pictures shortly, they are too big and I need to figure out how to downsize them.

Thank you very much.

James

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration