Is My Roof Failing? Or Repairable? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Is My Roof Failing? Or Repairable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walter Musson
Intermediate Member
Username: Walter_musson

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not post a couple pictures so that readers might be more able to help.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Vanosdol
Username: Kevanos

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a barn built in 1891, with an addition that was completed in 1911. The slate on the barn appears to be Vt. Grey, with Vt. Green used for the owner's initials and year of construction. The addition has slate that has a more red tint to it, and seems to be wearing worse than the original.

There is some flaking, but the slate isn't thin or particularly brittle. Some slates have fallen out or been broken. My thought on what I see is that some of the nails are failing...

I do have flashing that is/has failed, and some metal on the ridge has been blown off.

How do I know if my slate roof is repairable, or if it needs replaced? How does one repair such a large roof... ladder hooks? I'm in Indiana, and concerned about the cost and if there is anyone capable of (correctly) doing the job around here.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration