Question regarding Mortar like substa... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Question regarding Mortar like substance used on slate roofs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a company called Beacon Sales out of Mass. We have a branch in Shelburne Vermont. Its call Bull Dog slaters cement. I never use anything with the color you describe before. I have talk with other slate roofers that have use real mortar! That was in Mass on the water and very big pcs of slate. You may want to look at some tile web sites, they may have different colors to match all the different tiles that are made.

Jaime M. Masick
Username: Just_a_slater_girl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for responding:) Could you direct me to a supplier? I did a google search, but couldn't find the product. I have run into the red material on the red slate roof we worked on. On this particular roof, the material is green and the slates are blue/green. Thanks again for your help

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It may be a little different, but I use a material call Bull Dog which is red in color. You will find it used in Mass alot. It is for high wind protection. All perimiter pcs should be done. I am in Vermont and run into a more black color then the red.

Jaime M. Masick
Username: Just_a_slater_girl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently working on a slate roof in upstate new york(albany area), where we have encountered a "mortar" like substance that seems to have been used in the original roof installation(approx. 1896). The substance appears to have been used possibly as some sort of adhesive(found on delicate pieces on the conical turret). It also seems to have been employed as a gap filler/sealer(found in gaps between slates where a slated side wall of the building butts up underneath the overhang of the roof slates. We are curious about what the substance is and wondered if anyone has any insight into what might have been used in this fashion during that time period/this area? The substance is chalky and crumbly and a similar color to the slates. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration