Attaching ladders to roof slopes with... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Attaching ladders to roof slopes without ladder hooks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Zimmerli
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Are there brackets or something to fasten a ladder
onto a roof slope without using ladder hooks
(for roofs that come to a point, or have too long
a slope to reach the ridge)?

I'm looking at the bottom two pics on page 185
of the SRB. The ladder on the roof appears to
have one foot resting on the scaffold plank and
the other just hanging free. This can't be the
only thing holding it up. Something must be
bracketing it to the roof. Can anyone enlighten
me?

Thanks,
David Zimmerli

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,
ABC supply shows an item like you've asked about in their catalog.They are probably on line ,although I don't have their address with me.If I were doing it I'd take out slates to enable two roof brackets to be installed about 4 or 5 feet apart,then span them with a rough 2x10 plank.Set your ladder onto the plank,then nail a 2x4 cleat to the plank behind the ladder to keep it from moving during your work session.
I would also install some form of anchorage above so that a safety line,rope grap,lanyard and safety belt could be worn to ensure the worker's safety.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that photo in SRB shows a ladder with only one foot on the scaffold plank. The ladder had to be moved to one side of the plank in order to clear the smaller plank above it. One ladder foot in contact with the plank, positioned interior to the roof jack (not out at the end where the plank can tilt), is adequate. One ladder foot in contact with the plank is often necessary when a ladder situated on a roof jack and plank scaffold must be angled on the roof in order to get around something that is in the way (vent pipe, chimney, etc.). The stability of the system depends on the roof jacks being anchored properly into the roof, and on the plank itself -- it must be a good board that will not break. The ladder requires no additional bracket or anchor provided it is not excessively tilted.

Tim Morin
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used a metal strap wrapped around a lower rung of the ladder and fastened to the roof deck, after removing a few slate.

admin
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This year I bought micro-lam 2x10x8 planks to use as scaffold planks. They seem to be pretty unbreakable. They cost about $25 each.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration