Woodworm & rot in rafters at eaves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Woodworm & rot in rafters at eaves « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eamonn Murphy
Username: Eamonn_ie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Michael for your reply, and Slate Affair Inc. too.
Would you tell me the correct technical way of how to "splice" rafter wood i.e. cuting off the rotten bit at end of rafter, by the eaves, and then inserting a fresh piece of wood to replace the rotten piece? I've been told this is one solution.

Michael Joseph Bazikos
Username: Mbazikos

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eamonn, there are epoxies made to consolidate wood that is rotted, if the wood is intact. You would have to use a structural grade epoxy, because the rafters are carrying a load. Alternately, you could sister the rafters on each side to carry the load to the walls. This is standard restoration work and I am certain you will find abundant information available on the internet. For an article on epoxy wood restoration, try the Old House Journal website. I don't know the URL but it is published by Restore Media and they are online.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have any pictures. It hard to comment on just what you describe.

Eamonn Murphy
Username: Eamonn_ie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi group,
I am in the process of having the roof of my 80 year old Irish bungalow reslated with natural slate. Some of the rafters at the eaves of the house are rotten and have woodworm holes. Higher up, the rafter wood is hard and dry.
Could someone describe please in detail as to what should be done in this type of situation?
I'm having a spot of bother with my roofer and unfortunately I dont feel I can trust him with anything-it was myself by chance who noticed the rotten wood and my roofer was about to slate right on top of it.
Thanks for any details,
Eamonn.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration