Framing a rounded valley Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Framing a rounded valley « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some more round framing I hope this helps. The more it is round the more it will be flat.

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is some round framing. Look for more as this job moves forward. I have two 24ft valleys still two do. Finished slate picture will be under Wilde Deckung. Yes all framing will have slate along with the chimney.
Framing
framing 2

Matthew Hackett
Username: Matthew

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the quick response and the photos Joe. I may have to use a copper cap also if I can't get the valley top even with the dormer ridge. I've seen some homes in Philadelphia where the slate seems all piled up where the dormer ridge meets the main roof and I am trying to avoid that look.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you looked at the rounded valley workshop photos at the slateroofers.org website? Take a look at the photo album (http://slateroofers.org/albums/Conferences/2007/index.htm). We did two styles of rounded valley. One had a 12" board and one an 11" board. The dormer ridge will sweep up to join the main roof. I don't know how you can make the valley top come out even with the ridge. You have to run the valley boards up past the dormer ridge and join them in the center. Then run your ridge up the main roof in a curved fashion. Below is a rounded valley. The ridge area where the dormer ridge met the main ridge was covered by a copper cap when finished.

rounded valley

Matthew Hackett
Username: Matthew

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for information on how to frame rounded valleys. I read the Slate Roof Bible and Slate Roofs but am looking for a more in depth reference to provide to my carpenter. I want the radius of the valley to decrease as it moves up the roof so the dormer ridge ties in nicely with the main roof.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration