Slating conical top of tower (turret)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slating conical top of tower (turret) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Falconer
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The roofers are starting to slate the conical top of the tower of my tudor house in south Florida. Although the rest of the house is random widths up to 14 inches wide, they say the tower must be all 8 inch widths or else they will "rock" due to the circular structure. There is an identical tower pictured on the New England Slate Co. website, http://www.nelate.com/TASpc36C.html, which appear to have random widths up to 14 inches. My slate lengths are 16 inches with every 5th slate being 18 inches, the same as pictured. How may I tactfully advise my roofers how to duplicate the tower on the website?

Harry Falconer
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the website address for New England Slate' I left out an "s". It should be: http://www.neslate.com/TASpc36C.html

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,
I've looked at the site you quote,and it looks like none of the slates is 14" wide.Actually 8' to 9" would work well near the base of the tower and get narrower as you work your way up to the tighter part of cone.Closer to the top you might find 4" to 5 " will work the best.
Your length sounded long to me as well.

admin
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You didn't say what the diameter of the conical tower is. The narrower the tower, the smaller the slates that will be needed.

Harry Falconer
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both for the quick replys. The lengths are 14 and 16 inches, not 16 and 18. The tower is 18 feet in diameter. These lengths are the same as the house in the picture, per NE Slate Co. If you click on "return to thumbnails" above the tower picture, you can see the whole house which is very much like my house. It appears that the same widths were used throughout, including the tower. The widths range from 7 inches to 14 on both houses and the 3 color mix is the same.

Harry Falconer
Posted on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS To see the picture of the whole house, you need to slide down th the 7th picture underneath the 6 pictures of portions of the house.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slating conical roof with a circumfrance of 100ft with a 33 degree pitch. Roof sheeted with ply and ready for batoning and felting. What would be the recommended technique for the setting out of the latting?

admin
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is latting?

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

latting is a european term for batoning i.e what we nail the slates to

Joe Jenkins (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the U.S., we nail directly to the roof sheathing and don't use battens.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration