Copper roofing & galvanized gutters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper roofing & galvanized gutters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurtjf. Look at the dates on those posts. 14 years ago;;;but it is still the same. My brother owns Classic gutters and they make long pieces of the half round, in both copper , aluminum and galvalume. Classicgutters.com Check it out.

Kurtjf (Kurtjf)
Username: Kurtjf

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sort of in the same boat and due to cost I'm replacing a only sections of old galvanized half round with copper half round a little at the time.
I was going to request information and ideas on how to connect galvanized to copper and didn't know if there was sort of a non conductive dielectric union of sorts on the shelf anywhere. My questions are:
1) how do I make this connection?
2) will the deterioration of my galvanized gutter be as bad as the previous fellow who's copper valleys dumped directly at/into his galvanized gutters. Sounds like the velocity of the run off had a part in it or maybe it was the volume at that spot that made notable deterioration.
Thanks for any advice.

BC
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In advance, I apologize for asking a non-slate question in this forum. But I've gotten good advice from you all before.

Anyway, my question is: We are putting up a new copper roof on our porches and sunroom but keeping the galvanized steel gutters. The gutters and the copper roof will not have any direct contact. However, I've read that there can still be problems with dissimilar metals when a large surface area of copper drains into galvanized gutters. Is this true?

Perhaps our best bet is to replace the gutters too, but the current ones are in very good condition and match the gutters on the main roof. Besides, the copper roof is already costing a small fortune....

Thanks for any insight.

BC

admin
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The copper oxide that leaches from the copper roof will eat away your galvanized gutters. Well, "eat away" may not be the correct words, but the copper will rapidly accelerate the deterioration of the galvanized metal. You can paint or coat the interior of the galvanized gutters to protect the gutters and slow this process down. Otherwise, the best approach is to also have copper gutters.

BC
Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was afraid of that. Drats. If we paint the gutters (which was planned), any ballpark idea of longevity?

We got into this pickle because when we first bid the project, we planned to use galvanized steel for the roof and reinstall the gutters. We went with copper because the incremental cost of copper wasn't that much for a better material.

I guess the right thing is to replace it all with copper. Alas... we have 160 feet of gutter with a number of right angles. I guess I will get a bid on copper gutters too.

Thanks for the help.

Walter Musson
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Painting the steel gutters will help improve the life expectancy greatly,even if you had a steel roof above.In reality the copper oxide forms a coating on the galvanized metal and then stays virtually the same for a period of years.Electrolitic action is not as bad in the field as texts would have you believe.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I installed copper valleys on a house a few years ago, eight valleys in all, each about 24' long, all radiating out from a flat roof at the top of the house. They drained into galvanized gutters, and right where the valleys drained into the gutters, holes developed within a couple of years. The guy took his galvanized gutters off and replaced them with plastic ones, which are not affected by the copper oxides. I don't like plastic gutters, and I don't know if he had painted the galvanized ones (I doubt it), but the home owner seemed to think that it was the copper valleys that caused his gutters to deteriorate rapidly.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If roof is galvanized and gutters are copper, what would be the effect?

Barry Smith
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be fine, because the galvanized won't harm the copper. If the roof was copper and the gutter galvanized, the gutter would react and deteriorate quickly.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration