Concave front porch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Concave front porch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're going to use slate on that low slope, a double headlap as Ron suggests would be a good idea.

ron kugel
Username: Slateworks

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ray, you will have to do a dry lay out with your roof slate,just use 2 or 3 side by side maintain proper headlap(more than normal for most of this area) and start laying small rows up the roof to see how they will lay,you will have to have some shorter rows especially when you get to the area that the radius starts its transition to the main roof line,take notes and write down your layout as you figure it out,also on the first few rows I would maintain a 4" to 5"headlap or more(a job smiliar to yours we installed the slate with a double headlap: top of the first slate was under the bottom of slate on the fourth row by 2",also Ice & watershield was installed before the slate was installed on the 2/12 area)you may have to use lath-mortar -or 1x? under slate to help support them if you end up with a large gap when installing slate on the radius, fill the ends in with smaller slate or mortar(I have some pictures of Slate set in mortar at: roofersreview.com - search under evans city or slateworks roofing for images)..tying into the valley you could either install an open valley with a "W" bend and hemmed edge under the slate(solder where the valley angle changes direction) or a closed valley system...when installing slate on the radius you may need to punch new holes I like to nail these slate high about 1" to 1.5" from the top of slate,do not know if it really matters, but you can maintain the same nail length because the top of slate is closer to the roof deck....OR you could install a Copper flatlock roof on this area which would work and look good as well...Good Luck.

Ray Otwell
Username: Ray

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for a way to slate this porch so it will last as long as it should while keeping the rain out. Knowing the appropriate length of shingle along with headlap and any flashing that is needed would help me do this. I live in Georgia so we don't see a lot of ice and snow, but we do see some.

Ray Otwell

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

under construction

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I see you will need to install some shorter courses. Unless the slate you have seem to sit on the roof flat. You want the slate to sit flat!! No space behind it.

Ray Otwell

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Front elevation.

Ray Otwell

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top view of front porch.

Ray Otwell

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Concave roof-
application/pdf
Front porch (312.1 k)
This drawing is of the front porch rafters.

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We need a photo.

Ray Otwell

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can I slate my front porch that has a 18'-0" radius? The roof starts at 12/12 and goes to a 2/12 in a 10'-0" span. It shares a short section of valley with a 15/12 pitch roof. I am using
10x20 slates on the rest of house. I would like to stay with slate if possiable. This is a new house under construction.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration