Stained Slate Roof - From Downspouts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Stained Slate Roof - From Downspouts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jennifer swenson
Username: Elphette

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like at least some of the original copper gutters have been replaced with a different metal, I think steel. We haven't had a roof inspection yet, so I can't get up close to the gutters causing the stain to know if they too have been replaced. However, the stain is definitely black in color. There are rust stains on some of the other slates in different areas where some bad repair jobs were done, and they look totally different. Very reddish, typical rust stains.

I'll definitely check out this website. Thanks for all your help!

Joe Jenkins
Username: Joe

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are two photos of a slate roof that was 120 years old when I photographed it. Note that the copper hasn't stained anything. If there are stains emanating from copper, it's usually because there is an iron or steel fastener involved. Copper will "eat" the iron or steel and make it rust rapidly. Also, sometimes roof mastic (tar) will cause staining to emanate from copper. The streaks you see are probably iron fasteners someone stuck in there. But I have never seen copper itself stain a roof. Anybody have photos of copper staining?

120 year old copper

120 year old copper

Slate Affair Inc.
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fold this at www.naturalhandyman.com . It had alot of thing on staining. They say copper is green or blue-green staining. Manganese (used chiefly as an alloying agent in strengthing steel.(RHWCDictionary)) is brownish / blackish. I would think this will vary from city to city and also in the slate. All of this will contribute to the staining. From zooming in on the picture, the upper gutter look different from the others. So maybe that gutter was put up after the others? Is that gutter green looking? You may be able to use some from that site.

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The copper shouldn't be black. It should be dark brown, but it would not leach a stain onto the roof. Are you sure it's copper and not painted galvanized?

jennifer swenson

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The stain looks pretty much all black. I can't really see where there is any rust colored marks in that area. We plan on having someone come out and do an inspection just of the roof, but haven't been able to schedule that yet, so I've not been able to get up that close to the gutters. Could it be from whatever makes the copper black (I'm assuming that is some sort of patina...)

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the stain rusty looking at all?

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you looked inside the gutter to see if there is anything inside it that may be rusting? I have never seen copper stain a roof like that.

jennifer swenson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Slate Affair Inc.

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jennifer,
I would fix the slate, then exstend the down pipe into the gutter and down farther onto the copper eyebrow dormer. This should take care of the staining. Stain can happen with copper or steel. If it is black like you said, then I would say the gutter are copper.

jennifer swenson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've been told the gutters are copper. Would that produce the same effect? I'm attaching a picture to make it more clear. picture of stained slate roof

Joe Jenkins

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's rust stains from iron or steel spouting, you'll probably have to replace the slates that are stained. Hopefully, you'll have matching slates. Otherwise, cannibalize slates from a less visible part of the roof.

jennifer swenson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking at buying a home that has a slate roof. The house is a two story with dormers. It appears that on either side of the front dormer there are downspouts that simply empty onto the roof and so the water runs down the roof on both sides of the dormer. Where the water path is from the exit of these copper downspouts, the slate is stained black. I'm assuming this is from water reacting with the metal of the downspouts...is this something that can be cleaned? Or do those slates need to be replaced if we want to fix the problem? It really detracts from the beauty of the roof.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration